I don't know if I've already posted it to the mailing list.
Last time I've to do lot of work (normal and coding), so i can't remind..

You can do all this steps automated and easier for your customers (yourself).
If you are using Linux, you can write a shell script to fix it.

1.)
Install a vanillaserver with hldsupdatetool

2.)
Copy the vanillaserver to a second location for testing and run this one time.
Then create a filelist from this server:

$ cd $serverroot
$ find -type f -print0 | xargs egrep -Zzv 'motd\.txt|otherfile\.cfg' >
tf2_hldsupdatetool_filelist.0
# Last command searches only for files and seperate them with 0-byte-char,
# then piping to egrep for filtering (-v) with input and output with
delimiter \0 (-z for input -Z for output),
# then redirect the output to a file

3.)
Put addons, maps, configs.... all this modifications to the right
place (old syle) for testing all

4.)
Update the testserver with steampipe

5.)
Delete with files with your created filelist of the old vanillacontent:
cd $serverroot
cat /place/of/tf2_hldsupdatetool_filelist.0 | xargs -0 rm
# cat prints the filelist to stdout and piping it to xargs
# xargs is calling the command rm (for remove) with all args
# you have to use the -0 option the tell xargs for using
# the 0-byte-delimiter for arguments

6.)
Moving content and configs:
$ cd $serverroot/orangebox/tf
$ mkdir custom
$ mv maps materials particles reslists sound custom
#control right spelling, maybe i missed one dir
$ mv $serverroot/orangebox/tf/*  $serverroot/tf/
$ cd $serverroot/tf/
# start your updated server and test all

I've follwed Peter Reinhold's description and think that all
customcontent like maps, models, sound and other have to move into the
subdirectory custom.
Maybe I'm wrong and it doesn't work for anthing else except maps.

The command has naver been testet for this case but may work.

Test it only on servers you don't neet. Best thing is to crate a new
useraccount for testing all this things.
Providers can use thier scripts to rollout a convertion one time. Not
every stucture is the same.
I've told it 100 times, use symlinks and you have never the problems
with changed structure.
Easier for deleting broken symlinks an easier to convert to new
stucture with all files which the customer has created.