I feel like I'm missing something here....I finally got steamcmd running, and discovered two things:

1) It won't run on an old Athlon XP 3000+ box (socket A board). I get:

./steamcmd.sh
./steamcmd.sh: line 30: 2149 Illegal instruction $DEBUGGER "$STEAMROOT/$PLATFORM/$STEAMEXE" "$@"

With a 3.6.11 kernel. Yes, it is old, but I've run my op4 server on this for years and it's worked great. This old Athlon has all the cpu an OP4 server needs. Does this no longer work on older hardware like this? Is there an instruction of something missing from this old cpu? Or do I need to look at my kernel options and maybe set the cpu type to Athlon cause I think the generic kernel is ... actually, I think it is generic i386 or generic i486, but I'm not sure. This is where I'm not quite sure what the point of failure is.

2) It won't run on older linux distros. On modern hardware with Slackware 12.2 32 bit, which is a few years old and uses the 2.6.x kernel, I get:

./steamcmd.sh
/ook/Steam/linux32/steamcmd: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.10' not found (required by
/ook/Steam/linux32/steamcmd)

3) If I run it on a newer linux distro on modern hardware: Tada! It works.

So - can someone comment on:

1) steamcmd does not run on older distros/kernels because of the glibc version indicated above. 2) steamcmd does not run on these older Socket A Athlon processors (or my kernel needs to be compiled selecting the Athlon as the cpu type)?