I haven't seen this mentioned before, perhaps I missed it, but I
noticed that the steampipe version of my TF2 server couldn't find it's
steam library and throws the error:

dlopen failed trying to load:
/home/<username>/.steam/sdk32/steamclient.so
with error:
/home/<username>/.steam/sdk32/steamclient.so: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

It does this even though I've specified -steam_dir and
-steamcmd_script on the command line. I resolved it by making a
symlink in my homedirectory to the steamcmd installation directory
named .steam and a symlink sdk32 -> linux32 in the steamcmd install
directory, but that's more a work-around than a solution.

--
Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
  - Floyd Dell