You might try moving some of the +options into a single startup script and
+exec them all at once.  For example I am pretty sure that +servercfgfile,
+motdfile, +map, +exec could all be executed from a startup script.

-----Original Message-----
From: hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Erik-jan Riemers
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:09 AM
To: Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list
Subject: [hlds_linux] command line too long, 512 max

Well the topic says it all.

Starting a tf2 server, with the search path options being able to add multiple
search paths and all other stuff to run multiple servers from 1 install makes
my startup line rather big. Can this be bumped up a bit or can the search paths
be moved into a file or anything else?

As example:

screen -A -m -d -S tradeunusual ./srcds_run -debug -game tf +servercfgfile
server_tradeunusual.cfg +ip 144.76.59.36 -port 27015 +clientport 27030
-replayserverdir tradeunusual -maxplayers 32 +motdfile motd_tradeunusual.txt
+map trade_post_a34  -pidfile ~/tf/tradeunusual.pid -autoupdate -steam_dir
/home/lzgames/steamcmd/ -steamcmd_script /home/lzgames/steamcmd/tf.txt +exec
autoexec_tradeunusual.cfg
+mm_pluginsfile addons/metamod/metaplugins_tradeunusual.ini +sm_basepath
addons/sourcemod_tradeunusual +sv_logsdir logs_tradeunusual/
-insert_search_path tf/servercustom/trade

Gives me about 577 characters. I've got in my scripts ~/steamcmd but it writes
it out full in the script though. I could change the name of the server to
reduce a bit more.

And yes I could add some of these options in my server.cfg, but I rather keep
them outside so I can easily create new servers.

Erik