Indeed.

That said, if you'd like to block anyone who has been VAC banned,
regardless of the game on which it occurred, there's a SourceMod plugin to
achieve that, located here:
http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=80942

You can choose to have them kicked, banned, or just log the event in case
you want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but have them on file if at
some point you suspect them of cheating and want to know or something like
that

-Atreus