I never found any doc for it, I simply found it in the list of console commands:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/List_of_TF2_console_commands_and_variables

The only noticeable effect I saw in game is that when the cache is smaller sometimes items on players don't show up immediately in game but will appear on the next spawn or something like that.