From: hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Kyle Sanderson
Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2013 3:33 PM
To: Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list; Half-Life dedicated Win32
server mailing list
Cc: Eric Smith
Subject: [hlds_linux] [Regression] Horribly inaccurate player counts from Steam.

So a few weeks (probably months now, actually) ago all of the in-game client
tabs were moved to rely on data from Steam, instead of querying the actual
server. Which is fine, this most likely hurt fake players users quite
significantly.

However, from what started off as a few players incorrect (4~) has greatly
increased. We're up to 14~ phantom slots, as the players clients are broken, or
Steam is having trouble keeping up. This results in an actually full server
(64/64) showing as 50/64. Client's are now unable to externally queue to join
the server, it's actually pretty horrible. If servers are given an unverified
leeway of 15% of their verified players, it might be enough to span the gap for
those broken steam clients.

We run some pretty large servers, so this doesn't impact us as much.
Well, besides an endless amount of player reports, which is starting to take
it's toll. However, if you're running a TF server with 24 slots, and 10 of them
are empty... that's quite the thing.
Alternatively, if the max-player defines are increased, that would work as an
interim solution.

A revert, or fix would be much appreciated. I don't believe this is easily
fixable, as Steam's actual up time is around 80%.

Kyle.