Regarding the latest update from TF2 and the renewed discussion about
things like Quick-Play (now being largely re-directed to
Valve-operated servers), how this effects game "Communities", etc.

I do not think we are going to talk Valve out of any of this.  I think
all we can hope to do is get them to acknowledge the "community"
contributions and maybe make some changes that will build on that.  I
know if often seems like they are going in the other direction.
However, I am hopeful that some simple changes can help-out.  "Dr.
McKay" has certainly made some excellent suggestions regarding the
multi-player options, etc.

What I would like to suggest, is that Valve build-upon their existing
"Steam Community Groups" feature.  Some things they could do there
might include:

1) Add a feature to dedicated servers (HLDS *and* SRCDS) that allows a
server operator to associated a their server with a particular steam
community group.
2) Add a feature to the Steam Community Groups, that allows their
officers to then add those servers into the group profile in some
very-integrated manner.  Not just a "link" to join a server, but maybe
something larger.  Maybe more like a game-server banner, listing
current number of players, player slots, etc.  Of course, there are
3rd party sites that do some that now.  But, I think if Valve did it
right in the Steam Community Groups, they could fully-integrate things
nicer/cleaner.
3) Ensure such features work not just with Valve titles, but any mod
hosted on HLDS and SRCDS (all it's different SDK flavors).

Of course, this would mean that game "communities" would really have
to buy into the "Steam Community" thing more.  Many do prefer to run
their own websites, and of course many also game non-Valve/non-Steam
titles.  So, Steam Community integration maybe isn't as attractive to
them.

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts - IMH(f)O as usual.