It's the responsibility of the developer. They have access to set the version that the UpToDateCheck would display, and of course have control over their own downloaded files if they want to include a version file similar to steam.inf.

--
Nicholas Hastings
AlliedMods.net <http://www.alliedmods.net>

Jesse Molina <mailto:je...@opendreams.net>
Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:01 PM

Hi all

What methodologies are available for automatically updating non-Valve games with SteamCMD? Specifically, I am working on Linux here, and I am trying to produce an automatic update system for the Starbound server (AppID 211820).

With TF2, CSGO, and other Valve games, I can query the WebAPI to find out what the remote version is, and I have the local version in the game's steam.inf file. This makes it very easy to determine if my locally installed version needs to be updated via SteamCMD.

However, games which have a dedicated server, like Starbound, don't have an UpToDateCheck WebAPI interface, and there is nothing in the distribution files which indicate the local version.

Is it the responsibility of Steam customers (Starbound devs in this case) to do something to enable the UpToDateCheck WebAPI interface for their game, or is this a Valve-only feature?

Any advice?