On 28/08/2014 21:22, Erik-jan Riemers wrote:
Ever tried to call for an admin if a cheater is on a valve server? Or tons
of screaming kids?

I've voted off a handful of cheaters without issue.

As I've said before on this list, there really are not that many cheating in TF2 on the
servers I play on. That's especially the case with Valve's servers.

Or maybe they are so bad at cheating it doesn't make a difference?

If anything is different about the present pub TF2 player base it's
that they under perform rather than over perform because of cheats.

The other side is, Valve have a ton of servers, a cheat can only play on one of them
even if the voting option doesn't work.

TBH I can't think of many instances where I've been on a server with admins
where the admin has come and kicked a cheat. Most of the time admins
don't play on the server. If they arrive via some !report command, they'll ask
you to post proof to some forum (even if the cheat is still there
and it's obvious)  This is all a waste of my time.

Put simply if there's a cheat on your server I'll just leave and
join another server. This is no different to Valves. But as I say
cheaters are a rarity. If tons of people cheated in TF2 I would
stop playing it. I wouldn't join your server.

If you get a lot of cheaters I'd suggest that's probably because
you do have admins rather than because you don't. Especially
if you get this thing where cheaters are creating account after
account to wind you up. There's no on Valve's servers to wind up.
No one to "impress" by bypassing a ban.

Put simply, if you are getting trolled by cheaters etc, that's
probably because you've created an environment for trolls to flourish
and for kids to get some attention they crave via negative behaviour.

Valve servers are, in that sense, lonely. The guys that want
attention aren't going to find it there.

As for "screaming kids" these really don't exist in the UK IME.
I think it's mainly a cultural thing. Maybe an xbox thing here
though. In either case people are easy to mute via the client.

So "screaming kids" is a complete non-issue. There certainly
aren't "tons" of them - there can only be 23 other people
at a time. Most of them say nothing.

Since no one in TF2 pub servers ever says anything useful on the mic anyway
(and since Americans never STFU for 5 minutes and seem to talk inane nonsense
all the time) I usually just disable it completely.

As you probably appreciate too, there are 200 different languages here, so much of the chatter isn't in English and many of the people wouldn't understand me
if I said anything to them anyway.

You know, if you're playing 6v6 comp you use mumble or whatever
so, no one really has any need for Valve's in game talk thing. It's
a completely useless feature, just uncheck the check box
and, if the kids in your country scream, let them scream.

Same with sprays. If you're going to suggest people
need admins to get rid of naughty people who post
rude pictures. Nope. Don't have sprays enabled either.

What about other "rules"? Well, most of those rules
only exist because you have admins and they feel
some kind of egotistical need to believe they
are in charge of the people on the server.

So, in short, the problems you presented don't really exist
and I think my solution (join a different server) works
more efficiently than waiting for an admin / recording
demos / posting to forums etc.

By the time I've done that, the round is ruined anyway.

The biggest problem overall in TF2 is finding a decent round
i.e a map you want to play with 2 teams that want to
play the objectives. No server owner or admin has
solved this problem.  Valve, imo, often do things
to make this worse.  This requires constant
hopping from server to server - so you can
see, hopping for a cheat is really not adding to the burden
because poor and disinterested players are significantly more prevalent than cheats.

What I do to join a server is, pick <50 ping, 24 max players, pick
the map I want, get it to filter out empty and full
servers, and order the list by player count.

At that point I get a big list of Valve servers saying 23/24 at the top
of the list, and I just join them one at a time working my way down until
I find a decent game. When the round ends, I just hit 'refresh' and
do the same. Rinse and repeat until I've had enough and hit quit.

Occasionally I might join a 3rd party server that appears in the list, but not
because they have admins on them.

--
Dan