@psychonic

Yes it isn't forced for community servers you are correct. The bigger issue
I think would be Valve's servers now default these settings and those
servers have the majority of players. I expect many people will be effect
and head over to Reddit so keep a eye there to see if it's as wide spread
as I think it is. I just ran a quick test with someone who was effect on a
Casual Valve server and that person was still effected there, and also
another player on the server who I asked to talk also seemed effected.