In case anyone else runs into this problem here is my solution along with a pic
of the results:
I turned the sand texture into a blend - using the same texture slightly made
slightly blue. Then painted it on where the water goes.
http://forums.liquidgravity.us/download/file.php?id=46&mode=view
Thanks
Nate