The Psalms, starting at chapter 73

Psalm 73

 A Psalm by Asaph.

 {73:1} Surely God is good to Israel,
   to those who are pure in heart.
 {73:2} But as for me, my feet were almost gone.
   My steps had nearly slipped.
 {73:3} For I was envious of the arrogant,
   when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
 {73:4} For there are no struggles in their death,
   but their strength is firm.
 {73:5} They are free from burdens of men,
   neither are they plagued like other men.
 {73:6} Therefore pride is like a chain around their neck.
   Violence covers them like a garment.
 {73:7} Their eyes bulge with fat.
   Their minds pass the limits of conceit.
 {73:8} They scoff and speak with malice.
   In arrogance, they threaten oppression.
 {73:9} They have set their mouth in the heavens.
   Their tongue walks through the earth.
 {73:10} Therefore their people return to them,
   and they drink up waters of abundance.
 {73:11} They say, "How does God know?
   Is there knowledge in the Most High?"
 {73:12} Behold, these are the wicked.
   Being always at ease, they increase in riches.
 {73:13} Surely in vain I have cleansed my heart,
   and washed my hands in innocence,
 {73:14} For all day long have I been plagued,
   and punished every morning.
 {73:15} If I had said, "I will speak thus;"
   behold, I would have betrayed the generation of your children.
 {73:16} When I tried to understand this,
   it was too painful for me;
 {73:17} Until I entered God's sanctuary,
   and considered their latter end.
 {73:18} Surely you set them in slippery places.
   You throw them down to destruction.
 {73:19} How they are suddenly destroyed!
   They are completely swept away with terrors.
 {73:20} As a dream when one wakes up,
   so, Lord, when you awake, you will despise their fantasies.
 {73:21} For my soul was grieved.
   I was embittered in my heart.
 {73:22} I was so senseless and ignorant.
   I was a brute beast before you.
 {73:23} Nevertheless, I am continually with you.
   You have held my right hand.
 {73:24} You will guide me with your counsel,
   and afterward receive me to glory.
 {73:25} Who do I have in heaven?
   There is no one on earth who I desire besides you.
 {73:26} My flesh and my heart fails,
   but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
 {73:27} For, behold, those who are far from you shall perish.
   You have destroyed all those who are unfaithful to you.
 {73:28} But it is good for me to come close to God.
   I have made the Lord GOD my refuge,
   that I may tell of all your works.

Psalm 74

 A contemplation by Asaph.

 {74:1} God, why have you rejected us forever?
   Why does your anger smolder against the sheep of your pasture?
 {74:2} Remember your congregation, which you purchased of old,
   which you have redeemed to be the tribe of your inheritance;
   Mount Zion, in which you have lived.
 {74:3} Lift up your feet to the perpetual ruins,
   all the evil that the enemy has done in the sanctuary.
 {74:4} Your adversaries have roared in the midst of your assembly.
   They have set up their standards as signs.
 {74:5} They behaved like men wielding axes,
   cutting through a thicket of trees.
 {74:6} Now they break all its carved work down with hatchet and
        hammers.
   {74:7} They have burned your sanctuary to the ground.
   They have profaned the dwelling place of your Name.
 {74:8} They said in their heart, "We will crush them completely."
   They have burned up all the places in the land where God was
        worshiped.
 {74:9} We see no miraculous signs.
   There is no longer any prophet,
   neither is there among us anyone who knows how long.
 {74:10} How long, God, shall the adversary reproach?
   Shall the enemy blaspheme your name forever?
 {74:11} Why do you draw back your hand, even your right hand?
   Take it out of your pocket and consume them!
 {74:12} Yet God is my King of old,
   working salvation in the midst of the earth.
 {74:13} You divided the sea by your strength.
   You broke the heads of the sea monsters in the waters.
 {74:14} You broke the heads of Leviathan in pieces.
   You gave him as food to people and desert creatures.
 {74:15} You opened up spring and stream.
   You dried up mighty rivers.
 {74:16} The day is yours, the night is also yours.
   You have prepared the light and the sun.
 {74:17} You have set all the boundaries of the earth.
   You have made summer and winter.

 {74:18} Remember this, that the enemy has mocked you, LORD.
   Foolish people have blasphemed your name.
 {74:19} Don't deliver the soul of your dove to wild beasts.
   Don't forget the life of your poor forever.
 {74:20} Honor your covenant,
   for haunts of violence fill the dark places of the earth.
 {74:21} Don't let the oppressed return ashamed.
   Let the poor and needy praise your name.
 {74:22} Arise, God! Plead your own cause.
   Remember how the foolish man mocks you all day.
 {74:23} Don't forget the voice of your adversaries.
   The tumult of those who rise up against you ascends continually.

Psalm 75

 For the Chief Musician. To the tune of "Do Not Destroy." A Psalm by
 Asaph. A song.

 {75:1} We give thanks to you, God.
   We give thanks, for your Name is near.
   Men tell about your wondrous works.

 {75:2} When I choose the appointed time,
   I will judge blamelessly.
 {75:3} The earth and all its inhabitants quake.
   I firmly hold its pillars.
 Selah.
 {75:4} I said to the arrogant, "Don't boast!"
   I said to the wicked, "Don't lift up the horn.
 {75:5} Don't lift up your horn on high.
   Don't speak with a stiff neck."
 {75:6} For neither from the east, nor from the west,
   nor yet from the south, comes exaltation.
 {75:7} But God is the judge.
   He puts down one, and lifts up another.
 {75:8} For in the hand of the LORD there is a cup,
   full of foaming wine mixed with spices.
 He pours it out.
   Indeed the wicked of the earth drink and drink it to its very dregs.

 {75:9} But I will declare this forever:
   I will sing praises to the God of Jacob.
 {75:10} I will cut off all the horns of the wicked,
   but the horns of the righteous shall be lifted up.

___

 This Bible reading mailing list and web site are paid for by donations
 marked "HNV project" and payable to:

 Rainbow Missions
 PO BOX 275
 MESA CO 81643-0275

 To cancel your free email subscription, please send
 email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
 unsubscribe hnv
 in the body of the message OR go to http://ebible.org/subscribe.htm