[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Exodus, starting at chapter 16

   {16:1} They took their journey from Elim, and all the congregation
 of the children of Israel came to the wilderness of Sin, which is
 between Elim and Sinai, on the fifteenth day of the second month after
 their departing out of the land of Egypt. {16:2} The whole
 congregation of the children of Israel murmured against Moses and
 against Aaron in the wilderness; {16:3} and the children of Israel
 said to them, "We wish that we had died by the hand of the LORD in the
 land of Egypt, when we sat by the meat pots, when we ate our fill of
 bread, for you have brought us out into this wilderness, to kill this
 whole assembly with hunger."

   {16:4} Then the LORD said to Moses, "Behold, I will rain bread from
 the sky for you, and the people shall go out and gather a day's
 portion every day, that I may test them, whether they will walk in my
 law, or not. {16:5} It shall come to pass on the sixth day, that they
 shall prepare that which they bring in, and it shall be twice as much
 as they gather daily."

   {16:6} Moses and Aaron said to all the children of Israel, "At
 evening, then you shall know that the LORD has brought you out from
 the land of Egypt; {16:7} and in the morning, then you shall see the
 glory of the LORD; because he hears your murmurings against the LORD.
 Who are we, that you murmur against us?" {16:8} Moses said, "Now the
 LORD shall give you meat to eat in the evening, and in the morning
 bread to satisfy you; because the LORD hears your murmurings which you
 murmur against him. And who are we? Your murmurings are not against
 us, but against the LORD." {16:9} Moses said to Aaron, "Tell all the
 congregation of the children of Israel, 'Come near before the LORD,
 for he has heard your murmurings.'" {16:10} It happened, as Aaron
 spoke to the whole congregation of the children of Israel, that they
 looked toward the wilderness, and behold, the glory of the LORD
 appeared in the cloud. {16:11} The LORD spoke to Moses, saying,
 {16:12} "I have heard the murmurings of the children of Israel. Speak
 to them, saying, 'At evening you shall eat meat, and in the morning
 you shall be filled with bread: and you shall know that I am the LORD
 your God.'"

   {16:13} It happened at evening that quail came up and covered the
 camp; and in the morning the dew lay around the camp. {16:14} When the
 dew that lay had gone, behold, on the surface of the wilderness was a
 small round thing, small as the frost on the ground. {16:15} When the
 children of Israel saw it, they said one to another, "What is it?" For
 they didn't know what it was. Moses said to them, "It is the bread
 which the LORD has given you to eat." {16:16} This is the thing which
 the LORD has commanded: "Gather of it everyone according to his
 eating; an [1>]omer[<1] a head, according to the number of your
 persons, you shall take it, every man for those who are in his tent."
 {16:17} The children of Israel did so, and gathered some more, some
 less. {16:18} When they measured it with an omer, he who gathered much
 had nothing over, and he who gathered little had no lack. They
 gathered every man according to his eating. {16:19} Moses said to
 them, "Let no one leave of it until the morning." {16:20}
 Notwithstanding they didn't listen to Moses, but some of them left of
 it until the morning, and it bred worms, and became foul: and Moses
 was angry with them. {16:21} They gathered it morning by morning,
 everyone according to his eating. When the sun grew hot, it melted.
 {16:22} It happened that on the sixth day they gathered twice as much
 bread, two omers for each one, and all the rulers of the congregation
 came and told Moses. {16:23} He said to them, "This is that which the
 LORD has spoken, 'Tomorrow is a solemn rest, a holy Sabbath to the
 LORD. Bake that which you want to bake, and boil that which you want
 to boil; and all that remains over lay up for yourselves to be kept
 until the morning.'" {16:24} They laid it up until the morning, as
 Moses asked, and it didn't become foul, neither was there any worm in
 it. {16:25} Moses said, "Eat that today, for today is a Sabbath to the
 LORD. Today you shall not find it in the field. {16:26} Six days you
 shall gather it, but on the seventh day is the Sabbath. In it there
 shall be none." {16:27} It happened on the seventh day, that some of
 the people went out to gather, and they found none. {16:28} The LORD
 said to Moses, "How long do you refuse to keep my commandments and my
 laws? {16:29} Behold, because the LORD has given you the Sabbath,
 therefore he gives you on the sixth day the bread of two days.
 Everyone stay in his place. Let no one go out of his place on the
 seventh day." {16:30} So the people rested on the seventh day.

   {16:31} The house of Israel called its name [2>]Manna,[<2] and it
 was like coriander seed, white; and its taste was like wafers with
 honey. {16:32} Moses said, "This is the thing which the LORD has
 commanded, 'Let an omer-full of it be kept throughout your
 generations, that they may see the bread with which I fed you in the
 wilderness, when I brought you forth from the land of Egypt.'" {16:33}
 Moses said to Aaron, "Take a pot, and put an omer-full of manna in it,
 and lay it up before the LORD, to be kept throughout your
 generations." {16:34} As the LORD commanded Moses, so Aaron laid it up
 before the Testimony, to be kept. {16:35} The children of Israel ate
 the manna forty years, until they came to an inhabited land. They ate
 the manna until they came to the borders of the land of Canaan.
 {16:36} Now an omer is the tenth part of an [3>]efah.[<3]

   {17:1} All the congregation of the children of Israel traveled from
 the wilderness of Sin, by their journeys, according to the LORD's
 commandment, and encamped in Rephidim; but there was no water for the
 people to drink. {17:2} Therefore the people quarreled with Moses, and
 said, "Give us water to drink."

   Moses said to them, "Why do you quarrel with me? Why do you test the
 LORD?"

   {17:3} The people were thirsty for water there; and the people
 murmured against Moses, and said, "Why have you brought us up out of
 Egypt, to kill us, our children, and our livestock with thirst?"

   {17:4} Moses cried to the LORD, saying, "What shall I do with these
 people? They are almost ready to stone me."

   {17:5} The LORD said to Moses, "Walk on before the people, and take
 the elders of Israel with you, and take the rod in your hand with
 which you struck the Nile, and go. {17:6} Behold, I will stand before
 you there on the rock in Horeb. You shall strike the rock, and water
 will come out of it, that the people may drink." Moses did so in the
 sight of the elders of Israel. {17:7} He called the name of the place
 [4>]Massah,[<4] and [5>]Meribah,[<5] because the children of Israel
 quarreled, and because they tested the LORD, saying, "Is the LORD
 among us, or not?"

   {17:8} Then Amalek came and fought with Israel in Rephidim. {17:9}
 Moses said to Joshua, "Choose men for us, and go out, fight with
 Amalek. Tomorrow I will stand on the top of the hill with God's rod in
 my hand." {17:10} So Joshua did as Moses had told him, and fought with
 Amalek; and Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill.
 {17:11} It happened, when Moses held up his hand, that Israel
 prevailed; and when he let down his hand, Amalek prevailed. {17:12}
 But Moses' hands were heavy; and they took a stone, and put it under
 him, and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held up his hands, the one on the
 one side, and the other on the other side. His hands were steady until
 sunset. {17:13} Joshua defeated Amalek and his people with the edge of
 the sword. {17:14} The LORD said to Moses, "Write this for a memorial
 in a book, and rehearse it in the ears of Joshua: that I will utterly
 blot out the memory of Amalek from under the sky." {17:15} Moses built
 an altar, and called its name [6>]the LORD our Banner.[<6] {17:16} He
 said, "The LORD has sworn: 'The LORD will have war with Amalek from
 generation to generation.'"

   {18:1} Now Jethro, the priest of Midian, Moses' father-in-law, heard
 of all that God had done for Moses, and for Israel his people, how
 that the LORD had brought Israel out of Egypt. {18:2} Jethro, Moses'
 father-in-law, received Zipporah, Moses' wife, after he had sent her
 away, {18:3} and her two sons. The name of one son was
 [7>]Gershom,[<7] for Moses said, "I have lived as a foreigner in a
 foreign land". {18:4} The name of the other was [8>]Eliezer,[<8] for
 he said, "My father's God was my help and delivered me from Pharaoh's
 sword." {18:5} Jethro, Moses' father-in-law, came with his sons and
 his wife to Moses into the wilderness where he was encamped, at the
 Mountain of God. {18:6} He said to Moses, "I, your father-in-law
 Jethro, have come to you with your wife, and her two sons with her."

   {18:7} Moses went out to meet his father-in-law, and bowed and
 kissed him. They asked each other of their welfare, and they came into
 the tent. {18:8} Moses told his father-in-law all that the LORD had
 done to Pharaoh and to the Egyptians for Israel's sake, all the
 hardships that had come on them on the way, and how the LORD delivered
 them. {18:9} Jethro rejoiced for all the goodness which the LORD had
 done to Israel, in that he had delivered them out of the hand of the
 Egyptians. {18:10} Jethro said, "Blessed be the LORD, who has
 delivered you out of the hand of the Egyptians, and out of the hand of
 Pharaoh; who has delivered the people from under the hand of the
 Egyptians. {18:11} Now I know that the LORD is greater than all gods
 because of the thing in which they dealt arrogantly against them."
 {18:12} Jethro, Moses' father-in-law, took a burnt offering and
 sacrifices for God. Aaron came with all of the elders of Israel, to
 eat bread with Moses' father-in-law before God.

   {18:13} It happened on the next day, that Moses sat to judge the
 people, and the people stood around Moses from the morning to the
 evening. {18:14} When Moses' father-in-law saw all that he did to the
 people, he said, "What is this thing that you do for the people? Why
 do you sit alone, and all the people stand around you from morning to
 evening?"

   {18:15} Moses said to his father-in-law, "Because the people come to
 me to inquire of God. {18:16} When they have a matter, they come to
 me, and I judge between a man and his neighbor, and I make them know
 the statutes of God, and his laws." {18:17} Moses' father-in-law said
 to him, "The thing that you do is not good. {18:18} You will surely
 wear away, both you, and this people that is with you; for the thing
 is too heavy for you. You are not able to perform it yourself alone.
 {18:19} Listen now to my voice. I will give you counsel, and God be
 with you. You represent the people before God, and bring the causes to
 God. {18:20} You shall teach them the statutes and the laws, and shall
 show them the way in which they must walk, and the work that they must
 do. {18:21} Moreover you shall provide out of all the people able men,
 such as fear God: men of truth, hating unjust gain; and place such
 over them, to be rulers of thousands, rulers of hundreds, rulers of
 fifties, and rulers of tens. {18:22} Let them judge the people at all
 times. It shall be that every great matter they shall bring to you,
 but every small matter they shall judge themselves. So shall it be
 easier for you, and they shall share the load with you. {18:23} If you
 will do this thing, and God commands you so, then you will be able to
 endure, and all of these people also will go to their place in peace."

   {18:24} So Moses listened to the voice of his father-in-law, and did
 all that he had said. {18:25} Moses chose able men out of all Israel,
 and made them heads over the people, rulers of thousands, rulers of
 hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens. {18:26} They judged
 the people at all times. They brought the hard causes to Moses, but
 every small matter they judged themselves. {18:27} Moses let his
 father-in-law depart, and he went his way into his own land.

Footnotes:
[1] {16:16} An omer is about 2.2 litres or about 2.3 quarts

[2] {16:31} "Manna" means "What is it?"

[3] {16:36} 1 efah is about 22 litres or about 2/3 of a bushel

[4] {17:7} Massah means testing.

[5] {17:7} Meribah means quarreling.

[6] {17:15} Hebrew, the LORD Nissi

[7] {18:3} "Gershom" sounds like the Hebrew for "an alien there."

[8] {18:4} Eliezer means "God is my helper."

The World English Bible: Messianic Edition is in the Public Domain.
This translation is also known as the Hebrew Names Version. "World
English Bible," "World English Bible: Messianic Edition," and "World
English Bible" are trademarks of Rainbow Missions, Inc., and may only
be used as names for the Bible translations so named and distributed by
Rainbow Missions, Inc., and faithful copies thereof. Typo reports are
welcome at http://eBible.org/cgi-bin/comment.cgi. Please see
http://HNVBible.org for updates.