[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The Good News According to Matthew, Chapter 17

   {17:1} After six days, Yeshua took with him Peter, Jacob, and
 Yochanan his brother, and brought them up into a high mountain by
 themselves. {17:2} He was transfigured before them. His face shone
 like the sun, and his garments became as white as the light. {17:3}
 Behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them talking with him.

   {17:4} Peter answered, and said to Yeshua, "Lord, it is good for us
 to be here. If you want, let's make three tents here: one for you, one
 for Moses, and one for Elijah."

   {17:5} While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud
 overshadowed them. Behold, a voice came out of the cloud, saying,
 "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Listen to him."

   {17:6} When the disciples heard it, they fell on their faces, and
 were very afraid. {17:7} Yeshua came and touched them and said, "Get
 up, and don't be afraid." {17:8} Lifting up their eyes, they saw no
 one, except Yeshua alone. {17:9} As they were coming down from the
 mountain, Yeshua commanded them, saying, "Don't tell anyone what you
 saw, until the Son of Man has risen from the dead."

   {17:10} His disciples asked him, saying, "Then why do the scribes
 say that Elijah must come first?"

   {17:11} Yeshua answered them, "Elijah indeed comes first, and will
 restore all things, {17:12} but I tell you that Elijah has come
 already, and they didn't recognize him, but did to him whatever they
 wanted to. Even so the Son of Man will also suffer by them." {17:13}
 Then the disciples understood that he spoke to them of Yochanan the
 Immerser.

   {17:14} When they came to the multitude, a man came to him, kneeling
 down to him, saying, {17:15} "Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is
 epileptic, and suffers grievously; for he often falls into the fire,
 and often into the water. {17:16} So I brought him to your disciples,
 and they could not cure him."

   {17:17} Yeshua answered, "Faithless and perverse generation! How
 long will I be with you? How long will I bear with you? Bring him here
 to me." {17:18} Yeshua rebuked him, the demon went out of him, and the
 boy was cured from that hour.

   {17:19} Then the disciples came to Yeshua privately, and said, "Why
 weren't we able to cast it out?"

   {17:20} He said to them, "Because of your unbelief. For most
 certainly I tell you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed,
 you will tell this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will
 move; and nothing will be impossible for you. {17:21} But this kind
 doesn't go out except by prayer and fasting."

   {17:22} While they were staying in Galilee, Yeshua said to them,
 "The Son of Man is about to be delivered up into the hands of men,
 {17:23} and they will kill him, and the third day he will be raised
 up."

   They were exceedingly sorry. {17:24} When they had come to
 Capernaum, those who collected the [1>]didrachma coins[<1] came to
 Peter, and said, "Doesn't your rabbi pay the didrachma?" {17:25} He
 said, "Yes."

   When he came into the house, Yeshua anticipated him, saying, "What
 do you think, Simon? From whom do the kings of the earth receive toll
 or tribute? From their children, or from strangers?"

   {17:26} Peter said to him, "From strangers."

   Yeshua said to him, "Therefore the children are exempt. {17:27} But,
 lest we cause them to stumble, go to the sea, cast a hook, and take up
 the first fish that comes up. When you have opened its mouth, you will
 find a [2>]stater coin.[<2] Take that, and give it to them for me and
 you."

Footnotes:
[1] {17:24} A didrachma is a Greek silver coin worth 2 drachmas, about
as much as 2 Roman denarii, or about 2 days' wages. It was commonly
used to pay the half-shekel temple tax, because 2 drachmas were worth
one half shekel of silver.

[2] {17:27} A stater is a silver coin equivalent to four Attic or two
Alexandrian drachmas, or a Jewish shekel: just exactly enough to cover
the half-shekel temple tax for two people.

The World English Bible: Messianic Edition is in the Public Domain.
This translation is also known as the Hebrew Names Version. "World
English Bible," "World English Bible: Messianic Edition," and "World
English Bible" are trademarks of Rainbow Missions, Inc., and may only
be used as names for the Bible translations so named and distributed by
Rainbow Missions, Inc., and faithful copies thereof. Typo reports are
welcome at http://eBible.org/cgi-bin/comment.cgi. Please see
http://HNVBible.org for updates.