[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Joshua, starting at chapter 7

   {7:1} But the children of Israel committed a trespass in the devoted
 things; for Achan, the son of Carmi, the son of Zabdi, the son of
 Zerah, of the tribe of Judah, took some of the devoted things.
 Therefore the LORD's anger burned against the children of Israel.
 {7:2} Joshua sent men from Jericho to Ai, which is beside Beth Aven,
 on the east side of Bethel, and spoke to them, saying, "Go up and spy
 out the land."

   The men went up and spied out Ai. {7:3} They returned to Joshua, and
 said to him, "Don't let all the people go up; but let about two or
 three thousand men go up and strike Ai. Don't make all the people to
 toil there, for there are only a few of them." {7:4} So about three
 thousand men of the people went up there, and they fled before the men
 of Ai. {7:5} The men of Ai struck about thirty-six men of them, and
 they chased them from before the gate even to Shebarim, and struck
 them at the descent. The hearts of the people melted, and became like
 water. {7:6} Joshua tore his clothes, and fell to the earth on his
 face before the ark of the LORD until the evening, he and the elders
 of Israel; and they put dust on their heads. {7:7} Joshua said, "Alas,
 Lord GOD, why have you brought this people over the Jordan at all, to
 deliver us into the hand of the Amorites, to cause us to perish? I
 wish that we had been content and lived beyond the Jordan! {7:8} Oh,
 Lord, what shall I say, after that Israel has turned their backs
 before their enemies! {7:9} For the Canaanites and all the inhabitants
 of the land will hear of it, and will surround us, and cut off our
 name from the earth. What will you do for your great name?"

   {7:10} The LORD said to Joshua, "Get up! Why are you fallen on your
 face like that? {7:11} Israel has sinned. Yes, they have even
 transgressed my covenant which I commanded them. Yes, they have even
 taken of the devoted things, and have also stolen, and also deceived.
 They have even put it among their own stuff. {7:12} Therefore the
 children of Israel can't stand before their enemies. They turn their
 backs before their enemies, because they have become devoted for
 destruction. I will not be with you any more, unless you destroy the
 devoted things from among you.

   {7:13} "Get up! Sanctify the people, and say, 'Sanctify yourselves
 for tomorrow, for the LORD, the God of Israel, says, "There is a
 devoted thing in the midst of you, Israel. You cannot stand before
 your enemies until you take away the devoted thing from among you."

   {7:14} "'In the morning therefore you shall be brought near by your
 tribes. It shall be that the tribe which the LORD selects shall come
 near by families. The family which the LORD selects shall come near by
 households. The household which the LORD selects shall come near man
 by man. {7:15} It shall be, that he who is taken with the devoted
 thing shall be burnt with fire, he and all that he has, because he has
 transgressed the covenant of the LORD, and because he has done a
 disgraceful thing in Israel.'"

   {7:16} So Joshua rose up early in the morning and brought Israel
 near by their tribes. The tribe of Judah was selected. {7:17} He
 brought near the family of Judah; and he selected the family of the
 Zerahites. He brought near the family of the Zerahites man by man, and
 Zabdi was selected. {7:18} He brought near his household man by man,
 and Achan, the son of Carmi, the son of Zabdi, the son of Zerah, of
 the tribe of Judah, was selected. {7:19} Joshua said to Achan, "My
 son, please give glory to the LORD, the God of Israel, and make
 confession to him. Tell me now what you have done! Don't hide it from
 me!"

   {7:20} Achan answered Joshua, and said, "I have truly sinned against
 the LORD, the God of Israel, and this is what I have done. {7:21} When
 I saw among the spoil a beautiful Babylonian robe, two hundred shekels
 of silver, and a wedge of gold weighing fifty shekels, then I coveted
 them and took them. Behold, they are hidden in the ground in the
 middle of my tent, with the silver under it."

   {7:22} So Joshua sent messengers, and they ran to the tent. Behold,
 it was hidden in his tent, with the silver under it. {7:23} They took
 them from the middle of the tent, and brought them to Joshua and to
 all the children of Israel. They laid them down before the LORD.
 {7:24} Joshua, and all Israel with him, took Achan the son of Zerah,
 the silver, the robe, the wedge of gold, his sons, his daughters, his
 cattle, his donkeys, his sheep, his tent, and all that he had; and
 they brought them up to the valley of Achor. {7:25} Joshua said, "Why
 have you troubled us? the LORD will trouble you this day." All Israel
 stoned him with stones, and they burned them with fire and stoned them
 with stones. {7:26} They raised over him a great heap of stones that
 remains to this day. The LORD turned from the fierceness of his anger.
 Therefore the name of that place was called "The valley of Achor" to
 this day.

   {8:1} The LORD said to Joshua, "Don't be afraid, neither be
 dismayed. Take all the people of war with you, and arise, go up to Ai.
 Behold, I have given into your hand the king of Ai, with his people,
 his city, and his land. {8:2} You shall do to Ai and her king as you
 did to Jericho and her king, except its spoil and its livestock, you
 shall take for a plunder for yourselves. Set an ambush for the city
 behind it."

   {8:3} So Joshua arose, and all the people of war, to go up to Ai.
 Joshua chose thirty thousand men, the mighty men of valor, and sent
 them out by night. {8:4} He commanded them, saying, "Behold, you shall
 lie in ambush against the city, behind the city. Don't go very far
 from the city, but all of you be ready. {8:5} I, and all the people
 who are with me, will approach to the city. It shall happen, when they
 come out against us, as at the first, that we will flee before them.
 {8:6} They will come out after us, until we have drawn them away from
 the city; for they will say, 'They flee before us, like the first
 time.' So we will flee before them, {8:7} and you shall rise up from
 the ambush, and take possession of the city; for the LORD your God
 will deliver it into your hand. {8:8} It shall be, when you have
 seized on the city, that you shall set the city on fire. You shall do
 this according to the word of the LORD. Behold, I have commanded you."

   {8:9} Joshua sent them out; and they went to set up the ambush, and
 stayed between Bethel and Ai, on the west side of Ai; but Joshua
 stayed among the people that night. {8:10} Joshua rose up early in the
 morning, mustered the people, and went up, he and the elders of
 Israel, before the people to Ai. {8:11} All the people, even the men
 of war who were with him, went up, and drew near, and came before the
 city, and encamped on the north side of Ai. Now there was a valley
 between him and Ai. {8:12} He took about five thousand men, and set
 them in ambush between Bethel and Ai, on the west side of the city.
 {8:13} So they set the people, even all the army who was on the north
 of the city, and their ambush on the west of the city; and Joshua went
 that night into the midst of the valley. {8:14} It happened, when the
 king of Ai saw it, that they hurried and rose up early, and the men of
 the city went out against Israel to battle, he and all his people, at
 the time appointed, before the Arabah; but he didn't know that there
 was an ambush against him behind the city. {8:15} Joshua and all
 Israel made as if they were beaten before them, and fled by the way of
 the wilderness. {8:16} All the people who were in the city were called
 together to pursue after them. They pursued Joshua, and were drawn
 away from the city. {8:17} There was not a man left in Ai or Beth El
 who didn't go out after Israel. They left the city open, and pursued
 Israel.

   {8:18} The LORD said to Joshua, "Stretch out the javelin that is in
 your hand toward Ai, for I will give it into your hand."

   Joshua stretched out the javelin that was in his hand toward the
 city. {8:19} The ambush arose quickly out of their place, and they ran
 as soon as he had stretched out his hand, and entered into the city,
 and took it. They hurried and set the city on fire. {8:20} When the
 men of Ai looked behind them, they saw, and behold, the smoke of the
 city ascended up to heaven, and they had no power to flee this way or
 that way. The people who fled to the wilderness turned back on the
 pursuers. {8:21} When Joshua and all Israel saw that the ambush had
 taken the city, and that the smoke of the city ascended, then they
 turned again, and killed the men of Ai. {8:22} The others came out of
 the city against them, so they were in the midst of Israel, some on
 this side, and some on that side. They struck them, so that they let
 none of them remain or escape. {8:23} They captured the king of Ai
 alive, and brought him to Joshua.

   {8:24} It happened, when Israel had made an end of killing all the
 inhabitants of Ai in the field, in the wilderness in which they
 pursued them, and they had all fallen by the edge of the sword, until
 they were consumed, that all Israel returned to Ai, and struck it with
 the edge of the sword. {8:25} All that fell that day, both of men and
 women, were twelve thousand, even all the men of Ai. {8:26} For Joshua
 didn't draw back his hand, with which he stretched out the javelin,
 until he had utterly destroyed all the inhabitants of Ai. {8:27} Only
 the livestock and the spoil of that city Israel took for prey to
 themselves, according to the word of the LORD which he commanded
 Joshua. {8:28} So Joshua burnt Ai, and made it a heap forever, even a
 desolation, to this day. {8:29} He hanged the king of Ai on a tree
 until the evening, and at the sundown Joshua commanded, and they took
 his body down from the tree, and threw it at the entrance of the gate
 of the city, and raised a great heap of stones on it that remains to
 this day.

   {8:30} Then Joshua built an altar to the LORD, the God of Israel, in
 Mount Ebal, {8:31} as Moses the servant of the LORD commanded the
 children of Israel, as it is written in the scroll of the Torah of
 Moses, an altar of uncut stones, on which no man had lifted up any
 iron. They offered burnt offerings on it to the LORD, and sacrificed
 peace offerings. {8:32} He wrote there on the stones a copy of the
 Torah of Moses, which he wrote in the presence of the children of
 Israel. {8:33} All Israel, and their elders and officers, and their
 judges, stood on this side of the ark and on that side before the
 priests the Levites, who carried the ark of the LORD's covenant, the
 foreigner as well as the native; half of them in front of Mount
 Gerizim, and half of them in front of Mount Ebal, as Moses the servant
 of the LORD had commanded at the first, that they should bless the
 people of Israel. {8:34} Afterward he read all the words of the law,
 the blessing and the curse, according to all that is written in the
 scroll of the Torah. {8:35} There was not a word of all that Moses
 commanded, which Joshua didn't read before all the assembly of Israel,
 with the women, the little ones, and the foreigners who were among
 them.

   {9:1} It happened, when all the kings who were beyond the Jordan, in
 the hill country, and in the lowland, and on all the shore of the
 great sea in front of Lebanon, the Hittite, the Amorite, the
 Canaanite, the Perizzite, the Hivite, and the Jebusite, heard of it
 {9:2} that they gathered themselves together to fight with Joshua and
 with Israel, with one accord. {9:3} But when the inhabitants of Gibeon
 heard what Joshua had done to Jericho and to Ai, {9:4} they also
 resorted to a ruse, and went and made as if they had been ambassadors,
 and took old sacks on their donkeys, and wineskins, old and torn and
 bound up, {9:5} and old and patched shoes on their feet, and wore old
 garments. All the bread of their provision was dry and moldy. {9:6}
 They went to Joshua to the camp at Gilgal, and said to him, and to the
 men of Israel, "We have come from a far country. Now therefore make a
 covenant with us."

   {9:7} The men of Israel said to the Hivites, "What if you live among
 us. How could we make a covenant with you?"

   {9:8} They said to Joshua, "We are your servants."

   Joshua said to them, "Who are you? Where do you come from?"

   {9:9} They said to him, "Your servants have come from a very far
 country because of the name of the LORD your God; for we have heard of
 his fame, all that he did in Egypt, {9:10} and all that he did to the
 two kings of the Amorites who were beyond the Jordan, to Sihon king of
 Heshbon and to Og king of Bashan, who was at Ashtaroth. {9:11} Our
 elders and all the inhabitants of our country spoke to us, saying,
 'Take provision in your hand for the journey, and go to meet them, and
 tell them, "We are your servants. Now make a covenant with us."'
 {9:12} This our bread we took hot for our provision out of our houses
 on the day we went out to go to you; but now, behold, it is dry, and
 has become moldy. {9:13} These wineskins, which we filled, were new;
 and behold, they are torn. These our garments and our shoes have
 become old because of the very long journey."

   {9:14} The men sampled their provisions, and didn't ask counsel from
 the mouth of the LORD. {9:15} Joshua made peace with them, and made a
 covenant with them, to let them live. The princes of the congregation
 swore to them. {9:16} It happened at the end of three days after they
 had made a covenant with them, that they heard that they were their
 neighbors, and that they lived among them. {9:17} The children of
 Israel traveled and came to their cities on the third day. Now their
 cities were Gibeon, Chephirah, Beeroth, and Kiriath Jearim. {9:18} The
 children of Israel didn't strike them, because the princes of the
 congregation had sworn to them by the LORD, the God of Israel. All the
 congregation murmured against the princes. {9:19} But all the princes
 said to all the congregation, "We have sworn to them by the LORD, the
 God of Israel: now therefore we may not touch them. {9:20} This we
 will do to them, and let them live; lest wrath be on us, because of
 the oath which we swore to them." {9:21} The princes said to them,
 "Let them live, so they became wood cutters and drawers of water for
 all the congregation, as the princes had spoken to them."

   {9:22} Joshua called for them, and he spoke to them, saying, "Why
 have you deceived us, saying, 'We are very far from you,' when you
 live among us? {9:23} Now therefore you are cursed, and some of you
 will never fail to be bondservants, both wood cutters and drawers of
 water for the house of my God."

   {9:24} They answered Joshua, and said, "Because your servants were
 certainly told how the LORD your God commanded his servant Moses to
 give you all the land, and to destroy all the inhabitants of the land
 from before you. Therefore we were very afraid for our lives because
 of you, and have done this thing. {9:25} Now, behold, we are in your
 hand. Do to us as it seems good and right to you to do."

   {9:26} He did so to them, and delivered them out of the hand of the
 children of Israel, so that they didn't kill them. {9:27} That day
 Joshua made them wood cutters and drawers of water for the
 congregation and for the altar of the LORD, to this day, in the place
 which he should choose.

The World English Bible: Messianic Edition is in the Public Domain.
This translation is also known as the Hebrew Names Version. "World
English Bible," "World English Bible: Messianic Edition," and "World
English Bible" are trademarks of Rainbow Missions, Inc., and may only
be used as names for the Bible translations so named and distributed by
Rainbow Missions, Inc., and faithful copies thereof. Typo reports are
welcome at http://eBible.org/cgi-bin/comment.cgi. Please see
http://HNVBible.org for updates.