arch...@jab.org

Obadiah, starting at chapter 1

   {1:1} The vision of Obadiah. This is what the [1>]Lord[<1] [2>]the
 LORD[<2] says about Edom. We have heard news from the LORD, and an
 ambassador is sent among the nations, saying, "Arise, and let's rise
 up against her in battle. {1:2} Behold, I have made you small among
 the nations. You are greatly despised. {1:3} The pride of your heart
 has deceived you, you who dwell in the clefts of the rock, whose
 habitation is high, who says in his heart, 'Who will bring me down to
 the ground?' {1:4} Though you mount on high as the eagle, and though
 your nest is set among the stars, I will bring you down from there,"
 says the LORD. {1:5} "If thieves came to you, if robbers by night--oh,
 what disaster awaits you--wouldn't they only steal until they had
 enough? If grape pickers came to you, wouldn't they leave some
 gleaning grapes? {1:6} How Esau will be ransacked! How his hidden
 treasures are sought out! {1:7} All the men of your alliance have
 brought you on your way, even to the border. The men who were at peace
 with you have deceived you, and prevailed against you. Friends who eat
 your bread lay a snare under you. There is no understanding in him."

   {1:8} "Won't I in that day," says the LORD, "destroy the wise men
 out of Edom, and understanding out of the mountain of Esau? {1:9} Your
 mighty men, Teman, will be dismayed, to the end that everyone may be
 cut off from the mountain of Esau by slaughter. {1:10} For the
 violence done to your brother Jacob, shame will cover you, and you
 will be cut off forever. {1:11} In the day that you stood on the other
 side, in the day that strangers carried away his substance, and
 foreigners entered into his gates, and cast lots for Jerusalem, even
 you were like one of them. {1:12} But don't look down on your brother
 in the day of his disaster, and don't rejoice over the children of
 Judah in the day of their destruction. Don't speak proudly in the day
 of distress. {1:13} Don't enter into the gate of my people in the day
 of their calamity. Don't look down on their affliction in the day of
 their calamity, neither seize their wealth on the day of their
 calamity. {1:14} Don't stand in the crossroads to cut off those of his
 who escape. Don't deliver up those of his who remain in the day of
 distress. {1:15} For the day of the LORD is near all the nations! As
 you have done, it will be done to you. Your deeds will return upon
 your own head. {1:16} For as you have drunk on my holy mountain, so
 will all the nations drink continually. Yes, they will drink, swallow
 down, and will be as though they had not been. {1:17} But in Mount
 Zion, there will be those who escape, and it will be holy. The house
 of Jacob will possess their possessions. {1:18} The house of Jacob
 will be a fire, the house of Joseph a flame, and the house of Esau for
 stubble. They will burn among them, and devour them. There will not be
 any remaining to the house of Esau." Indeed, the LORD has spoken.

   {1:19} Those of the South will possess the mountain of Esau, and
 those of the lowland, the Philistines. They will possess the field of
 Ephraim, and the field of Samaria. Benjamin will possess Gilead.
 {1:20} The captives of this army of the children of Israel, who are
 among the Canaanites, will possess even to Zarephath; and the captives
 of Jerusalem, who are in Sepharad, will possess the cities of the
 Negev. {1:21} Saviors will go up on Mount Zion to judge the mountains
 of Esau, and the kingdom will be the LORD's.

Footnotes:
[1] {1:1} The word translated "Lord" (mixed case) is "Adonai."

[2] {1:1} "LORD" or "GOD" (all capital letters) indicate the 4-letter
Holy Name of God

The World English Bible: Messianic Edition is in the Public Domain.
This translation is also known as the Hebrew Names Version. "World
English Bible," "World English Bible: Messianic Edition," and "World
English Bible" are trademarks of Rainbow Missions, Inc., and may only
be used as names for the Bible translations so named and distributed by
Rainbow Missions, Inc., and faithful copies thereof. Typo reports are
welcome at http://eBible.org/cgi-bin/comment.cgi. Please see
http://HNVBible.org for updates.