arch...@jab.org

Genesis, starting at chapter 4

   {4:1} The man knew Havah his wife. She conceived, and gave birth to
 Cain, and said, "I have gotten a man with the LORD's help." {4:2}
 Again she gave birth, to Cain's brother Abel. Abel was a keeper of
 sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground. {4:3} As time passed, it
 happened that Cain brought an offering to the LORD from the fruit of
 the ground. {4:4} Abel also brought some of the firstborn of his flock
 and of its fat. The LORD respected Abel and his offering, {4:5} but he
 didn't respect Cain and his offering. Cain was very angry, and the
 expression on his face fell. {4:6} The LORD said to Cain, "Why are you
 angry? Why has the expression of your face fallen? {4:7} If you do
 well, will it not be lifted up? If you don't do well, sin crouches at
 the door. Its desire is for you, but you are to rule over it." {4:8}
 Cain said to Abel, his brother, "Let's go into the field." It happened
 when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel, his
 brother, and killed him.

   {4:9} The LORD said to Cain, "Where is Abel, your brother?"

   He said, "I don't know. Am I my brother's keeper?"

   {4:10} The LORD said, "What have you done? The voice of your
 brother's blood cries to me from the ground. {4:11} Now you are cursed
 because of the ground, which has opened its mouth to receive your
 brother's blood from your hand. {4:12} From now on, when you till the
 ground, it won't yield its strength to you. You shall be a fugitive
 and a wanderer in the earth."

   {4:13} Cain said to the LORD, "My punishment is greater than I can
 bear. {4:14} Behold, you have driven me out this day from the surface
 of the ground. I will be hidden from your face, and I will be a
 fugitive and a wanderer in the earth. It will happen that whoever
 finds me will kill me."

   {4:15} The LORD said to him, "Therefore whoever slays Cain,
 vengeance will be taken on him sevenfold." the LORD appointed a sign
 for Cain, lest any finding him should strike him.

   {4:16} Cain went out from the LORD's presence, and lived in the land
 of Nod, east of Eden. {4:17} Cain knew his wife. She conceived, and
 gave birth to Enoch. He built a city, and called the name of the city,
 after the name of his son, Enoch. {4:18} To Enoch was born Irad. Irad
 became the father of Mehujael. Mehujael became the father of
 Methushael. Methushael became the father of Lamech. {4:19} Lamech took
 two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other
 Zillah. {4:20} Adah gave birth to Jabal, who was the father of those
 who dwell in tents and have livestock. {4:21} His brother's name was
 Jubal, who was the father of all who handle the harp and pipe. {4:22}
 Zillah also gave birth to Tubal Cain, the forger of every cutting
 instrument of brass and iron. Tubal Cain's sister was Naamah. {4:23}
 Lamech said to his wives,
 "Adah and Zillah, hear my voice.
   You wives of Lamech, listen to my speech,
 for I have slain a man for wounding me,
   a young man for bruising me.
 {4:24} If Cain will be avenged seven times,
   truly Lamech seventy-seven times."

   {4:25} Adam knew his wife again. She gave birth to a son, and named
 him Seth, "for God has appointed me another child instead of Abel, for
 Cain killed him." {4:26} There was also born a son to Seth, and he
 named him Enosh. Then men began to call on the LORD's name.

   {5:1} This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that
 God created man, he made him in God's likeness. {5:2} He created them
 male and female, and blessed them, and called their name
 [1>]"Adam,"[<1] in the day when they were created. {5:3} Adam lived
 one hundred thirty years, and became the father of a son in his own
 likeness, after his image, and named him Seth. {5:4} The days of Adam
 after he became the father of Seth were eight hundred years, and he
 became the father of sons and daughters. {5:5} All the days that Adam
 lived were nine hundred thirty years, then he died.

   {5:6} Seth lived one hundred five years, and became the father of
 Enosh. {5:7} Seth lived after he became the father of Enosh eight
 hundred seven years, and became the father of sons and daughters.
 {5:8} All the days of Seth were nine hundred twelve years, then he
 died.

   {5:9} Enosh lived ninety years, and became the father of Kenan.
 {5:10} Enosh lived after he became the father of Kenan, eight hundred
 fifteen years, and became the father of sons and daughters. {5:11} All
 the days of Enosh were nine hundred five years, then he died.

   {5:12} Kenan lived seventy years, and became the father of
 Mahalalel. {5:13} Kenan lived after he became the father of Mahalalel
 eight hundred forty years, and became the father of sons and daughters
 {5:14} and all the days of Kenan were nine hundred ten years, then he
 died.

   {5:15} Mahalalel lived sixty-five years, and became the father of
 Jared. {5:16} Mahalalel lived after he became the father of Jared
 eight hundred thirty years, and became the father of sons and
 daughters. {5:17} All the days of Mahalalel were eight hundred
 ninety-five years, then he died.

   {5:18} Jared lived one hundred sixty-two years, and became the
 father of Enoch. {5:19} Jared lived after he became the father of
 Enoch eight hundred years, and became the father of sons and
 daughters. {5:20} All the days of Jared were nine hundred sixty-two
 years, then he died.

   {5:21} Enoch lived sixty-five years, and became the father of
 Methuselah. {5:22} Enoch walked with God after he became the father of
 Methuselah three hundred years, and became the father of sons and
 daughters. {5:23} All the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty-five
 years. {5:24} Enoch walked with God, and he was not, for God took him.

   {5:25} Methuselah lived one hundred eighty-seven years, and became
 the father of Lamech. {5:26} Methuselah lived after he became the
 father of Lamech seven hundred eighty-two years, and became the father
 of sons and daughters. {5:27} All the days of Methuselah were nine
 hundred sixty-nine years, then he died.

   {5:28} Lamech lived one hundred eighty-two years, and became the
 father of a son, {5:29} and he named him Noah, saying, "This same will
 comfort us in our work and in the toil of our hands, because of the
 ground which the LORD has cursed." {5:30} Lamech lived after he became
 the father of Noah five hundred ninety-five years, and became the
 father of sons and daughters. {5:31} All the days of Lamech were seven
 hundred seventy-seven years, then he died.

   {5:32} Noah was five hundred years old, and Noah became the father
 of Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

   {6:1} It happened, when men began to multiply on the surface of the
 ground, and daughters were born to them, {6:2} that God's sons saw
 that men's daughters were beautiful, and they took for themselves
 wives of all that they chose. {6:3} The LORD said, "My Spirit will not
 strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; yet will his days
 be one hundred twenty years." {6:4} The Nephilim were in the earth in
 those days, and also after that, when God's sons came in to men's
 daughters. They bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who
 were of old, men of renown.

   {6:5} The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the
 earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was
 only evil continually. {6:6} The LORD was sorry that he had made man
 on the earth, and it grieved him in his heart. {6:7} The LORD said, "I
 will destroy man whom I have created from the surface of the ground;
 man, along with animals, creeping things, and birds of the sky; for I
 am sorry that I have made them." {6:8} But Noah found favor in the
 LORD's eyes.

   {6:9} This is the history of the generations of Noah. Noah was a
 righteous man, blameless among the people of his time. Noah walked
 with God. {6:10} Noah became the father of three sons: Shem, Ham, and
 Japheth. {6:11} The earth was corrupt before God, and the earth was
 filled with violence. {6:12} God saw the earth, and saw that it was
 corrupt, for all flesh had corrupted their way on the earth.

   {6:13} God said to Noah, "The end of all flesh has come before me,
 for the earth is filled with violence through them. Behold, I will
 destroy them with the earth. {6:14} Make a ship of gopher wood. You
 shall make rooms in the ship, and shall seal it inside and outside
 with pitch. {6:15} This is how you shall make it. The length of the
 ship will be three hundred cubits, its breadth fifty cubits, and its
 height thirty cubits. {6:16} You shall make a roof in the ship, and
 you shall finish it to a cubit upward. You shall set the door of the
 ship in its side. You shall make it with lower, second, and third
 levels. {6:17} I, even I, do bring the flood of waters on this earth,
 to destroy all flesh having the breath of life from under the sky.
 Everything that is in the earth will die. {6:18} But I will establish
 my covenant with you. You shall come into the ship, you, your sons,
 your wife, and your sons' wives with you. {6:19} Of every living thing
 of all flesh, you shall bring two of every sort into the ship, to keep
 them alive with you. They shall be male and female. {6:20} Of the
 birds after their kind, of the livestock after their kind, of every
 creeping thing of the ground after its kind, two of every sort shall
 come to you, to keep them alive. {6:21} Take with you of all food that
 is eaten, and gather it to yourself; and it will be for food for you,
 and for them." {6:22} Thus Noah did. According to all that God
 commanded him, so he did.

Footnotes:
[1] {5:2} "Adam" and "Man" are spelled with the exact same consonants
in Hebrew, so this can be correctly translated either way.

The World English Bible: Messianic Edition is in the Public Domain.
This translation is also known as the Hebrew Names Version. "World
English Bible," "World English Bible: Messianic Edition," and "World
English Bible" are trademarks of Rainbow Missions, Inc., and may only
be used as names for the Bible translations so named and distributed by
Rainbow Missions, Inc., and faithful copies thereof. Typo reports are
welcome at http://eBible.org/cgi-bin/comment.cgi. Please see
http://HNVBible.org for updates.