arch...@jab.org

The Second Book of Chronicles, starting at chapter 16

   {16:1} In the six and thirtieth year of the reign of Asa, Baasha
 king of Israel went up against Judah, and built Ramah, that he might
 not allow anyone to go out or come in to Asa king of Judah. {16:2}
 Then Asa brought out silver and gold out of the treasures of the house
 of the LORD and of the king's house, and sent to Ben Hadad king of
 Syria, who lived at Damascus, saying, {16:3} "Let there be a treaty
 between me and you, as there was between my father and your father.
 Behold, I have sent you silver and gold. Go, break your treaty with
 Baasha king of Israel, that he may depart from me."

   {16:4} Ben Hadad listened to king Asa, and sent the captains of his
 armies against the cities of Israel; and they struck Ijon, and Dan,
 and Abel Maim, and all the storage cities of Naphtali. {16:5} It
 happened, when Baasha heard of it, that he left off building Ramah,
 and let his work cease. {16:6} Then Asa the king took all Judah; and
 they carried away the stones of Ramah, and its timber, with which
 Baasha had built; and he built therewith Geba and Mizpah. {16:7} At
 that time Hanani the seer came to Asa king of Judah, and said to him,
 "Because you have relied on the king of Syria, and have not relied on
 the LORD your God, therefore is the army of the king of Syria escaped
 out of your hand. {16:8} Weren't the Ethiopians and the Lubim a huge
 army, with chariots and horsemen exceeding many? Yet, because you
 relied on the LORD, he delivered them into your hand. {16:9} For the
 eyes of the LORD run back and forth throughout the whole earth, to
 show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect
 toward him. Herein you have done foolishly; for from henceforth you
 shall have wars."

   {16:10} Then Asa was angry with the seer, and put him in the prison;
 for he was in a rage with him because of this thing. Asa oppressed
 some of the people at the same time. {16:11} Behold, the acts of Asa,
 first and last, behold, they are written in the book of the kings of
 Judah and Israel. {16:12} In the thirty-ninth year of his reign Asa
 was diseased in his feet; his disease was exceeding great: yet in his
 disease he didn't seek the LORD, but to the physicians. {16:13} Asa
 slept with his fathers, and died in the one and fortieth year of his
 reign. {16:14} They buried him in his own tombs, which he had dug out
 for himself in the city of David, and laid him in the bed which was
 filled with sweet odors and various kinds of spices prepared by the
 perfumers' art: and they made a very great burning for him.

   {17:1} Jehoshaphat his son reigned in his place, and strengthened
 himself against Israel. {17:2} He placed forces in all the fortified
 cities of Judah, and set garrisons in the land of Judah, and in the
 cities of Ephraim, which Asa his father had taken. {17:3} The LORD was
 with Jehoshaphat, because he walked in the first ways of his father
 David, and didn't seek the Baals, {17:4} but sought to the God of his
 father, and walked in his commandments, and not after the doings of
 Israel. {17:5} Therefore the LORD established the kingdom in his hand;
 and all Judah brought to Jehoshaphat tribute; and he had riches and
 honor in abundance. {17:6} His heart was lifted up in the ways of the
 LORD: and furthermore he took away the high places and the Asherim out
 of Judah. {17:7} Also in the third year of his reign he sent his
 princes, even Ben Hail, and Obadiah, and Zechariah, and Nethanel, and
 Micaiah, to teach in the cities of Judah; {17:8} and with them the
 Levites, even Shemaiah, and Nethaniah, and Zebadiah, and Asahel, and
 Shemiramoth, and Jehonathan, and Adonijah, and Tobijah, and
 Tobadonijah, the Levites; and with them Elishama and Jehoram, the
 priests. {17:9} They taught in Judah, having the scroll of the Torah
 of the LORD with them; and they went about throughout all the cities
 of Judah, and taught among the people. {17:10} The fear of the LORD
 fell on all the kingdoms of the lands that were around Judah, so that
 they made no war against Jehoshaphat. {17:11} Some of the Philistines
 brought Jehoshaphat presents, and silver for tribute; the Arabians
 also brought him flocks, seven thousand and seven hundred rams, and
 seven thousand and seven hundred male goats. {17:12} Jehoshaphat grew
 great exceedingly; and he built in Judah castles and cities of store.
 {17:13} He had many works in the cities of Judah; and men of war,
 mighty men of valor, in Jerusalem. {17:14} This was the numbering of
 them according to their fathers' houses: Of Judah, the captains of
 thousands: Adnah the captain, and with him mighty men of valor three
 hundred thousand; {17:15} and next to him Jehohanan the captain, and
 with him two hundred eighty thousand; {17:16} and next to him Amasiah
 the son of Zichri, who willingly offered himself to the LORD; and with
 him two hundred thousand mighty men of valor. {17:17} Of Benjamin:
 Eliada a mighty man of valor, and with him two hundred thousand armed
 with bow and shield; {17:18} and next to him Jehozabad and with him
 one hundred eighty thousand ready prepared for war. {17:19} These were
 those who waited on the king, besides those whom the king put in the
 fortified cities throughout all Judah.

   {18:1} Now Jehoshaphat had riches and honor in abundance; and he
 joined affinity with Ahab. {18:2} After certain years he went down to
 Ahab to Samaria. Ahab killed sheep and cattle for him in abundance,
 and for the people who were with him, and moved him to go up with him
 to Ramoth Gilead. {18:3} Ahab king of Israel said to Jehoshaphat king
 of Judah, "Will you go with me to Ramoth Gilead?"

   He answered him, "I am as you are, and my people as your people. We
 will be with you in the war." {18:4} Jehoshaphat said to the king of
 Israel, "Please inquire first for the word of the LORD."

   {18:5} Then the king of Israel gathered the prophets together, four
 hundred men, and said to them, "Shall we go to Ramoth Gilead to
 battle, or shall I forbear?"

   They said, "Go up; for God will deliver it into the hand of the
 king."

   {18:6} But Jehoshaphat said, "Isn't there here a prophet of the LORD
 besides, that we may inquire of him?"

   {18:7} The king of Israel said to Jehoshaphat, "There is yet one man
 by whom we may inquire of the LORD; but I hate him, for he never
 prophesies good concerning me, but always evil. He is Micaiah the son
 of Imla."

   Jehoshaphat said, "Don't let the king say so."

   {18:8} Then the king of Israel called an officer, and said, "Get
 Micaiah the son of Imla quickly."

   {18:9} Now the king of Israel and Jehoshaphat the king of Judah sat
 each on his throne, arrayed in their robes, and they were sitting in
 an open place at the entrance of the gate of Samaria; and all the
 prophets were prophesying before them. {18:10} Zedekiah the son of
 Chenaanah made him horns of iron, and said, "Thus says the LORD, 'With
 these you shall push the Syrians, until they are consumed.'"

   {18:11} All the prophets prophesied so, saying, "Go up to Ramoth
 Gilead, and prosper; for the LORD will deliver it into the hand of the
 king."

   {18:12} The messenger who went to call Micaiah spoke to him, saying,
 "Behold, the words of the prophets declare good to the king with one
 mouth. Let your word therefore, please be like one of theirs, and
 speak good."

   {18:13} Micaiah said, "As the LORD lives, what my God says, that
 will I speak."

   {18:14} When he had come to the king, the king said to him,
 "Micaiah, shall we go to Ramoth Gilead to battle, or shall I forbear?"

   He said, "Go up, and prosper. They shall be delivered into your
 hand."

   {18:15} The king said to him, "How many times shall I adjure you
 that you speak to me nothing but the truth in the name of the LORD?"

   {18:16} He said, "I saw all Israel scattered on the mountains, as
 sheep that have no shepherd. The LORD said, 'These have no master. Let
 them return every man to his house in peace.'"

   {18:17} The king of Israel said to Jehoshaphat, "Didn't I tell you
 that he would not prophesy good concerning me, but evil?"

   {18:18} Micaiah said, "Therefore hear the word of the LORD: I saw
 the LORD sitting on his throne, and all the army of heaven standing on
 his right hand and on his left. {18:19} The LORD said, 'Who shall
 entice Ahab king of Israel, that he may go up and fall at Ramoth
 Gilead?' One spoke saying in this way, and another saying in that way.
 {18:20} A spirit came out, stood before the LORD, and said, 'I will
 entice him.'

   "The LORD said to him, 'How?'

   {18:21} "He said, 'I will go forth, and will be a lying spirit in
 the mouth of all his prophets.'

   "He said, 'You will entice him, and will prevail also. Go forth, and
 do so.'

   {18:22} "Now therefore, behold, the LORD has put a lying spirit in
 the mouth of these your prophets; and the LORD has spoken evil
 concerning you."

   {18:23} Then Zedekiah the son of Chenaanah came near, and struck
 Micaiah on the cheek, and said, "Which way did the Spirit of the LORD
 go from me to speak to you?"

   {18:24} Micaiah said, "Behold, you shall see on that day, when you
 shall go into an inner room to hide yourself."

   {18:25} The king of Israel said, "Take Micaiah, and carry him back
 to Amon the governor of the city, and to Joash the king's son; {18:26}
 and say, 'Thus says the king, "Put this fellow in the prison, and feed
 him with bread of affliction and with water of affliction, until I
 return in peace."'"

   {18:27} Micaiah said, "If you return at all in peace, the LORD has
 not spoken by me." He said, "Listen, you peoples, all of you!" {18:28}
 So the king of Israel and Jehoshaphat the king of Judah went up to
 Ramoth Gilead. {18:29} The king of Israel said to Jehoshaphat, "I will
 disguise myself, and go into the battle; but you put on your robes."
 So the king of Israel disguised himself; and they went into the
 battle. {18:30} Now the king of Syria had commanded the captains of
 his chariots, saying, "Fight neither with small nor great, except only
 with the king of Israel."

   {18:31} It happened, when the captains of the chariots saw
 Jehoshaphat, that they said, "It is the king of Israel!" Therefore
 they turned around to fight against him. But Jehoshaphat cried out,
 and the LORD helped him; and God moved them to depart from him.
 {18:32} It happened, when the captains of the chariots saw that it was
 not the king of Israel, that they turned back from pursuing him.
 {18:33} A certain man drew his bow at random, and struck the king of
 Israel between the joints of the armor. Therefore he said to the
 driver of the chariot, "Turn your hand, and carry me out of the army;
 for I am severely wounded." {18:34} The battle increased that day.
 However the king of Israel propped himself up in his chariot against
 the Syrians until the evening; and about the time of the going down of
 the sun, he died.

The World English Bible: Messianic Edition is in the Public Domain.
This translation is also known as the Hebrew Names Version. "World
English Bible," "World English Bible: Messianic Edition," and "World
English Bible" are trademarks of Rainbow Missions, Inc., and may only
be used as names for the Bible translations so named and distributed by
Rainbow Missions, Inc., and faithful copies thereof. Typo reports are
welcome at http://eBible.org/cgi-bin/comment.cgi. Please see
http://HNVBible.org for updates.