arch...@jab.org

Jeremiah, starting at chapter 10

   {10:1} Hear the word which the LORD speaks to you, house of Israel!
 {10:2} Thus says the LORD, "Don't learn the way of the nations, and
 don't be dismayed at the signs of the sky; for the nations are
 dismayed at them. {10:3} For the customs of the peoples are vanity;
 for one cuts a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the
 workman with the axe. {10:4} They deck it with silver and with gold;
 they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it not move. {10:5}
 They are like a palm tree, of turned work, and don't speak: they must
 be carried, because they can't go. Don't be afraid of them; for they
 can't do evil, neither is it in them to do good." {10:6} There is none
 like you, LORD; you are great, and your name is great in might. {10:7}
 Who should not fear you, King of the nations? For it appertains to
 you; because among all the wise men of the nations, and in all their
 royal estate, there is none like you. {10:8} But they are together
 brutish and foolish: the instruction of idols! it is but a stock.
 {10:9} There is silver beaten into plates, which is brought from
 Tarshish, and gold from Uphaz, the work of the artificer and of the
 hands of the goldsmith; blue and purple for their clothing; they are
 all the work of skillful men. {10:10} But the LORD is the true God; he
 is the living God, and an everlasting King: at his wrath the earth
 trembles, and the nations are not able to withstand his indignation.
 {10:11} You shall say this to them: The gods that have not made the
 heavens and the earth, these shall perish from the earth, and from
 under the heavens. {10:12} He has made the earth by his power, he has
 established the world by his wisdom, and by his understanding has he
 stretched out the heavens: {10:13} when he utters his voice, there is
 a tumult of waters in the heavens, and he causes the vapors to ascend
 from the ends of the earth; he makes lightnings for the rain, and
 brings forth the wind out of his treasuries. {10:14} Every man has
 become brutish and without knowledge; every goldsmith is disappointed
 by his engraved image; for his molten image is falsehood, and there is
 no breath in them. {10:15} They are vanity, a work of delusion: in the
 time of their visitation they shall perish. {10:16} The portion of
 Jacob is not like these; for he is the former of all things; and
 Israel is the tribe of his inheritance: the LORD of Hosts is his name.
 {10:17} Gather up your wares out of the land, you who live under
 siege. {10:18} For thus says the LORD, Behold, I will sling out the
 inhabitants of the land at this time, and will distress them, that
 they may feel it. {10:19} Woe is me because of my hurt! my wound is
 grievous: but I said, Truly this is my grief, and I must bear it.
 {10:20} My tent is destroyed, and all my cords are broken: my children
 are gone forth from me, and they are no more: there is none to spread
 my tent any more, and to set up my curtains. {10:21} For the shepherds
 are become brutish, and have not inquired of the LORD: therefore they
 have not prospered, and all their flocks are scattered. {10:22} The
 voice of news, behold, it comes, and a great commotion out of the
 north country, to make the cities of Judah a desolation, a dwelling
 place of jackals. {10:23} LORD, I know that the way of man is not in
 himself: it is not in man who walks to direct his steps. {10:24} LORD,
 correct me, but in measure: not in your anger, lest you bring me to
 nothing. {10:25} Pour out your wrath on the nations that don't know
 you, and on the families that don't call on your name: for they have
 devoured Jacob, yes, they have devoured him and consumed him, and have
 laid waste his habitation.

   {11:1} The word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying, {11:2}
 Hear the words of this covenant, and speak to the men of Judah, and to
 the inhabitants of Jerusalem; {11:3} and say to them, Thus says the
 LORD, the God of Israel: Cursed is the man who doesn't hear the words
 of this covenant, {11:4} which I commanded your fathers in the day
 that I brought them forth out of the land of Egypt, out of the iron
 furnace, saying, Obey my voice, and do them, according to all which I
 command you: so you shall be my people, and I will be your God; {11:5}
 that I may establish the oath which I swore to your fathers, to give
 them a land flowing with milk and honey, as at this day. Then answered
 I, and said, Amen, LORD. {11:6} The LORD said to me, Proclaim all
 these words in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem,
 saying, Hear the words of this covenant, and do them. {11:7} For I
 earnestly protested to your fathers in the day that I brought them up
 out of the land of Egypt, even to this day, rising early and
 protesting, saying, Obey my voice. {11:8} Yet they didn't obey, nor
 turn their ear, but walked everyone in the stubbornness of their evil
 heart: therefore I brought on them all the words of this covenant,
 which I commanded them to do, but they didn't do them. {11:9} The LORD
 said to me, A conspiracy is found among the men of Judah, and among
 the inhabitants of Jerusalem. {11:10} They are turned back to the
 iniquities of their forefathers, who refused to hear my words; and
 they are gone after other gods to serve them: the house of Israel and
 the house of Judah have broken my covenant which I made with their
 fathers. {11:11} Therefore thus says the LORD, Behold, I will bring
 evil on them, which they shall not be able to escape; and they shall
 cry to me, but I will not listen to them. {11:12} Then shall the
 cities of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem go and cry to the
 gods to which they offer incense: but they will not save them at all
 in the time of their trouble. {11:13} For according to the number of
 your cities are your gods, Judah; and according to the number of the
 streets of Jerusalem have you set up altars to the shameful thing,
 even altars to burn incense to Baal. {11:14} Therefore don't pray for
 this people, neither lift up cry nor prayer for them; for I will not
 hear them in the time that they cry to me because of their trouble.
 {11:15} What has my beloved to do in my house, since she has worked
 lewdness with many, and the holy flesh is passed from you? when you do
 evil, then you rejoice. {11:16} The LORD called your name, A green
 olive tree, beautiful with goodly fruit: with the noise of a great
 tumult he has kindled fire on it, and its branches are broken. {11:17}
 For the LORD of Hosts, who planted you, has pronounced evil against
 you, because of the evil of the house of Israel and of the house of
 Judah, which they have worked for themselves in provoking me to anger
 by offering incense to Baal. {11:18} The LORD gave me knowledge of it,
 and I knew it: then you showed me their doings. {11:19} But I was like
 a gentle lamb that is led to the slaughter; and I didn't know that
 they had devised devices against me, saying, Let us destroy the tree
 with its fruit, and let us cut him off from the land of the living,
 that his name may be no more remembered. {11:20} But, the LORD of
 Hosts, who judges righteously, who tests the heart and the mind, I
 shall see your vengeance on them; for to you have I revealed my cause.
 {11:21} Therefore thus says the LORD concerning the men of Anathoth,
 who seek your life, saying, You shall not prophesy in the name of the
 LORD, that you not die by our hand; {11:22} therefore thus says the
 LORD of Hosts, Behold, I will punish them: the young men shall die by
 the sword; their sons and their daughters shall die by famine; {11:23}
 and there shall be no remnant to them: for I will bring evil on the
 men of Anathoth, even the year of their visitation.

   {12:1} You are righteous, LORD, when I contend with you; yet I would
 reason the cause with you: why does the way of the wicked prosper? why
 are all they at ease who deal very treacherously? {12:2} You have
 planted them, yes, they have taken root; they grow, yes, they bring
 forth fruit: you are near in their mouth, and far from their heart.
 {12:3} But you, LORD, know me; you see me, and try my heart toward
 you: pull them out like sheep for the slaughter, and prepare them for
 the day of slaughter. {12:4} How long shall the land mourn, and the
 herbs of the whole country wither? for the wickedness of those who
 dwell therein, the animals are consumed, and the birds; because they
 said, He shall not see our latter end. {12:5} If you have run with the
 footmen, and they have wearied you, then how can you contend with
 horses? and though in a land of peace you are secure, yet how will you
 do in the pride of the Jordan? {12:6} For even your brothers, and the
 house of your father, even they have dealt treacherously with you;
 even they have cried aloud after you: don't believe them, though they
 speak beautiful words to you. {12:7} I have forsaken my house, I have
 cast off my heritage; I have given the dearly beloved of my soul into
 the hand of her enemies. {12:8} My heritage has become to me as a lion
 in the forest: she has uttered her voice against me; therefore I have
 hated her. {12:9} Is my heritage to me as a speckled bird of prey? are
 the birds of prey against her all around? Go, assemble all the animals
 of the field, bring them to devour. {12:10} Many shepherds have
 destroyed my vineyard, they have trodden my portion under foot, they
 have made my pleasant portion a desolate wilderness. {12:11} They have
 made it a desolation; it mourns to me, being desolate; the whole land
 is made desolate, because no man lays it to heart. {12:12} Destroyers
 have come on all the bare heights in the wilderness; for the sword of
 the LORD devours from the one end of the land even to the other end of
 the land: no flesh has peace. {12:13} They have sown wheat, and have
 reaped thorns; they have put themselves to pain, and profit nothing:
 and you shall be ashamed of your fruits, because of the fierce anger
 of the LORD. {12:14} Thus says the LORD against all my evil neighbors,
 who touch the inheritance which I have caused my people Israel to
 inherit: behold, I will pluck them up from off their land, and will
 pluck up the house of Judah from among them. {12:15} It shall happen,
 after that I have plucked them up, I will return and have compassion
 on them; and I will bring them again, every man to his heritage, and
 every man to his land. {12:16} It shall happen, if they will
 diligently learn the ways of my people, to swear by my name, As the
 LORD lives; even as they taught my people to swear by Baal; then shall
 they be built up in the midst of my people. {12:17} But if they will
 not hear, then will I pluck up that nation, plucking up and destroying
 it, says the LORD.

The World English Bible: Messianic Edition is in the Public Domain.
This translation is also known as the Hebrew Names Version. "World
English Bible," "World English Bible: Messianic Edition," and "World
English Bible" are trademarks of Rainbow Missions, Inc., and may only
be used as names for the Bible translations so named and distributed by
Rainbow Missions, Inc., and faithful copies thereof. Typo reports are
welcome at http://eBible.org/cgi-bin/comment.cgi. Please see
http://HNVBible.org for updates.