arch...@jab.org

Jeremiah, starting at chapter 49

   {49:1} Of the children of Ammon. Thus says the LORD: Has Israel no
 sons? has he no heir? why then does Malcam possess Gad, and his people
 well in its cities? {49:2} Therefore behold, the days come, says the
 LORD, that I will cause an alarm of war to be heard against Rabbah of
 the children of Ammon; and it shall become a desolate heap, and her
 daughters shall be burned with fire: then shall Israel possess those
 who possessed him, says the LORD. {49:3} Wail, Heshbon, for Ai is laid
 waste; cry, you daughters of Rabbah, clothe yourself in sackcloth:
 lament, and run back and forth among the fences; for Malcam shall go
 into captivity, his priests and his princes together. {49:4} Why do
 you glory in the valleys, your flowing valley, backsliding daughter?
 who trusted in her treasures, saying, Who shall come to me? {49:5}
 Behold, I will bring a fear on you, says the Lord, the LORD of Hosts,
 from all who are around you; and you shall be driven out every man
 right forth, and there shall be none to gather together the fugitives.
 {49:6} But afterward I will bring back the captivity of the children
 of Ammon, says the LORD. {49:7} Of Edom. Thus says the LORD of Hosts:
 Is wisdom no more in Teman? is counsel perished from the prudent? is
 their wisdom vanished? {49:8} Flee, turn back, dwell in the depths,
 inhabitants of Dedan; for I will bring the calamity of Esau on him,
 the time that I shall visit him. {49:9} If grape gatherers came to
 you, would they not leave some gleaning grapes? if thieves by night,
 wouldn't they destroy until they had enough? {49:10} But I have made
 Esau bare, I have uncovered his secret places, and he shall not be
 able to hide himself: his seed is destroyed, and his brothers, and his
 neighbors; and he is no more. {49:11} Leave your fatherless children,
 I will preserve them alive; and let your widows trust in me. {49:12}
 For thus says the LORD: Behold, they to whom it didn't pertain to
 drink of the cup shall certainly drink; and are you he who shall
 altogether go unpunished? You shall not go unpunished, but you shall
 surely drink. {49:13} For I have sworn by myself, says the LORD, that
 Bozrah shall become an astonishment, a reproach, a waste, and a curse;
 and all its cities shall be perpetual wastes. {49:14} I have heard
 news from the LORD, and an ambassador is sent among the nations,
 saying, Gather yourselves together, and come against her, and rise up
 to the battle. {49:15} For, behold, I have made you small among the
 nations, and despised among men. {49:16} As for your terror, the pride
 of your heart has deceived you, O you who dwell in the clefts of the
 rock, who hold the height of the hill: though you should make your
 nest as high as the eagle, I will bring you down from there, says the
 LORD. {49:17} Edom shall become an astonishment: everyone who passes
 by it shall be astonished, and shall hiss at all its plagues. {49:18}
 As in the overthrow of Sodom and Gomorrah and the neighbor cities of
 it, says the LORD, no man shall dwell there, neither shall any son of
 man live therein. {49:19} Behold, he shall come up like a lion from
 the pride of the Jordan against the strong habitation: for I will
 suddenly make them run away from it; and whoever is chosen, him will I
 appoint over it: for who is like me? and who will appoint me a time?
 and who is the shepherd who will stand before me? {49:20} Therefore
 hear the counsel of the LORD, that he has taken against Edom; and his
 purposes, that he has purposed against the inhabitants of Teman:
 Surely they shall drag them away, the little ones of the flock; surely
 he shall make their habitation desolate over them. {49:21} The earth
 trembles at the noise of their fall; there is a cry, the noise which
 is heard in the Sea of Suf. {49:22} Behold, he shall come up and fly
 as the eagle, and spread out his wings against Bozrah: and the heart
 of the mighty men of Edom at that day shall be as the heart of a woman
 in her pangs. {49:23} Of Damascus. Hamath is confounded, and Arpad;
 for they have heard evil news, they are melted away: there is sorrow
 on the sea; it can't be quiet. {49:24} Damascus has grown feeble, she
 turns herself to flee, and trembling has seized on her: anguish and
 sorrows have taken hold of her, as of a woman in travail. {49:25} How
 is the city of praise not forsaken, the city of my joy? {49:26}
 Therefore her young men shall fall in her streets, and all the men of
 war shall be brought to silence in that day, says the LORD of Hosts.
 {49:27} I will kindle a fire in the wall of Damascus, and it shall
 devour the palaces of Ben Hadad. {49:28} Of Kedar, and of the kingdoms
 of Hazor, which Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon struck. Thus says the
 LORD: Arise, go up to Kedar, and destroy the children of the east.
 {49:29} Their tents and their flocks shall they take; they shall carry
 away for themselves their curtains, and all their vessels, and their
 camels; and they shall cry to them, Terror on every side! {49:30}
 Flee, wander far off, dwell in the depths, you inhabitants of Hazor,
 says the LORD; for Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon has taken counsel
 against you, and has conceived a purpose against you. {49:31} Arise,
 go up to a nation that is at ease, that dwells without care, says the
 LORD; that have neither gates nor bars, that dwell alone. {49:32}
 Their camels shall be a booty, and the multitude of their livestock a
 spoil: and I will scatter to all winds those who have the corners of
 their beards cut off; and I will bring their calamity from every side
 of them, says the LORD. {49:33} Hazor shall be a dwelling place of
 jackals, a desolation forever: no man shall dwell there, neither shall
 any son of man live therein. {49:34} The word of the LORD that came to
 Jeremiah the prophet concerning Elam, in the beginning of the reign of
 Zedekiah king of Judah, saying, {49:35} Thus says the LORD of Hosts:
 Behold, I will break the bow of Elam, the chief of their might.
 {49:36} On Elam will I bring the four winds from the four quarters of
 the sky, and will scatter them toward all those winds; and there shall
 be no nation where the outcasts of Elam shall not come. {49:37} I will
 cause Elam to be dismayed before their enemies, and before those who
 seek their life; and I will bring evil on them, even my fierce anger,
 says the LORD; and I will send the sword after them, until I have
 consumed them; {49:38} and I will set my throne in Elam, and will
 destroy from there king and princes, says the LORD. {49:39} But it
 shall happen in the latter days, that I will bring back the captivity
 of Elam, says the LORD.

   {50:1} The word that the LORD spoke concerning Babylon, concerning
 the land of the Kasdim, by Jeremiah the prophet. {50:2} Declare among
 the nations and publish, and set up a standard; publish, and don't
 conceal: say, Babylon is taken, Bel is disappointed, Merodach is
 dismayed; her images are disappointed, her idols are dismayed. {50:3}
 For out of the north there comes up a nation against her, which shall
 make her land desolate, and none shall dwell therein: they are fled,
 they are gone, both man and animal. {50:4} In those days, and in that
 time, says the LORD, the children of Israel shall come, they and the
 children of Judah together; they shall go on their way weeping, and
 shall seek the LORD their God. {50:5} They shall inquire concerning
 Zion with their faces turned toward it, saying, Come, and join
 yourselves to the LORD in an everlasting covenant that shall not be
 forgotten. {50:6} My people have been lost sheep: their shepherds have
 caused them to go astray; they have turned them away on the mountains;
 they have gone from mountain to hill; they have forgotten their
 resting place. {50:7} All who found them have devoured them; and their
 adversaries said, We are not guilty, because they have sinned against
 the LORD, the habitation of righteousness, even the LORD, the hope of
 their fathers. {50:8} Flee out of the midst of Babylon, and go forth
 out of the land of the Kasdim, and be as the male goats before the
 flocks. {50:9} For, behold, I will stir up and cause to come up
 against Babylon a company of great nations from the north country; and
 they shall set themselves in array against her; from there she shall
 be taken: their arrows shall be as of an expert mighty man; none shall
 return in vain. {50:10} The land of the Kasdim shall be a prey: all
 who prey on her shall be satisfied, says the LORD. {50:11} Because you
 are glad, because you rejoice, O you who plunder my heritage, because
 you are wanton as a heifer that treads out the grain, and neigh as
 strong horses; {50:12} your mother shall be utterly disappointed; she
 who bore you shall be confounded: behold, she shall be the least of
 the nations, a wilderness, a dry land, and a desert. {50:13} Because
 of the wrath of the LORD she shall not be inhabited, but she shall be
 wholly desolate: everyone who goes by Babylon shall be astonished, and
 hiss at all her plagues. {50:14} Set yourselves in array against
 Babylon all around, all you who bend the bow; shoot at her, spare no
 arrows: for she has sinned against the LORD. {50:15} Shout against her
 all around: she has submitted herself; her bulwarks are fallen, her
 walls are thrown down; for it is the vengeance of the LORD: take
 vengeance on her; as she has done, do to her. {50:16} Cut off the
 sower from Babylon, and him who handles the sickle in the time of
 harvest: for fear of the oppressing sword they shall turn everyone to
 his people, and they shall flee everyone to his own land. {50:17}
 Israel is a hunted sheep; the lions have driven him away: first, the
 king of Assyria devoured him; and now at last Nebuchadnezzar king of
 Babylon has broken his bones. {50:18} Therefore thus says the LORD of
 Hosts, the God of Israel: Behold, I will punish the king of Babylon
 and his land, as I have punished the king of Assyria. {50:19} I will
 bring Israel again to his pasture, and he shall feed on Carmel and
 Bashan, and his soul shall be satisfied on the hills of Ephraim and in
 Gilead. {50:20} In those days, and in that time, says the LORD, the
 iniquity of Israel shall be sought for, and there shall be none; and
 the sins of Judah, and they shall not be found: for I will pardon them
 whom I leave as a remnant. {50:21} Go up against the land of
 Merathaim, even against it, and against the inhabitants of Pekod: kill
 and utterly destroy after them, says the LORD, and do according to all
 that I have commanded you. {50:22} A sound of battle is in the land,
 and of great destruction. {50:23} How is the hammer of the whole earth
 cut apart and broken! how is Babylon become a desolation among the
 nations! {50:24} I have laid a snare for you, and you are also taken,
 Babylon, and you weren't aware: you are found, and also caught,
 because you have striven against the LORD. {50:25} The LORD has opened
 his armory, and has brought forth the weapons of his indignation; for
 the Lord, the LORD of Hosts, has a work to do in the land of the
 Kasdim. {50:26} Come against her from the utmost border; open her
 storehouses; cast her up as heaps, and destroy her utterly; let
 nothing of her be left. {50:27} Kill all her bulls; let them go down
 to the slaughter: woe to them! for their day has come, the time of
 their visitation. {50:28} The voice of those who flee and escape out
 of the land of Babylon, to declare in Zion the vengeance of the LORD
 our God, the vengeance of his temple. {50:29} Call together the
 archers against Babylon, all those who bend the bow; encamp against
 her all around; let none of it escape: recompense her according to her
 work; according to all that she has done, do to her; for she has been
 proud against the LORD, against the Holy One of Israel. {50:30}
 Therefore her young men will fall in her streets, and all her men of
 war will be brought to silence in that day, says the LORD. {50:31}
 Behold, I am against you, you proud one, says the Lord, the LORD of
 Hosts; for your day has come, the time that I will visit you. {50:32}
 The proud one shall stumble and fall, and none shall raise him up; and
 I will kindle a fire in his cities, and it shall devour all who are
 around him. {50:33} Thus says the LORD of Hosts: The children of
 Israel and the children of Judah are oppressed together; and all who
 took them captive hold them fast; they refuse to let them go. {50:34}
 Their Redeemer is strong; the LORD of Hosts is his name: he will
 thoroughly plead their cause, that he may give rest to the earth, and
 disquiet the inhabitants of Babylon. {50:35} A sword is on the Kasdim,
 says the LORD, and on the inhabitants of Babylon, and on her princes,
 and on her wise men. {50:36} A sword is on the boasters, and they
 shall become fools; a sword is on her mighty men, and they shall be
 dismayed. {50:37} A sword is on their horses, and on their chariots,
 and on all the mixed people who are in the midst of her; and they
 shall become as women: a sword is on her treasures, and they shall be
 robbed. {50:38} A drought is on her waters, and they shall be dried
 up; for it is a land of engraved images, and they are mad over idols.
 {50:39} Therefore the wild animals of the desert with the wolves shall
 dwell there, and the ostriches shall dwell therein: and it shall be no
 more inhabited forever; neither shall it be lived in from generation
 to generation. {50:40} As when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah and
 the neighbor cities of it, says the LORD, so shall no man dwell there,
 neither shall any son of man live therein. {50:41} Behold, a people
 comes from the north; and a great nation and many kings shall be
 stirred up from the uttermost parts of the earth. {50:42} They lay
 hold on bow and spear; they are cruel, and have no mercy; their voice
 roars like the sea; and they ride on horses, everyone set in array, as
 a man to the battle, against you, daughter of Babylon. {50:43} The
 king of Babylon has heard the news of them, and his hands wax feeble:
 anguish has taken hold of him, pains as of a woman in labor. {50:44}
 Behold, the enemy shall come up like a lion from the pride of the
 Jordan against the strong habitation: for I will suddenly make them
 run away from it; and whoever is chosen, him will I appoint over it:
 for who is like me? and who will appoint me a time? and who is the
 shepherd who can stand before me? {50:45} Therefore hear the counsel
 of the LORD, that he has taken against Babylon; and his purposes, that
 he has purposed against the land of the Kasdim: Surely they shall drag
 them away, even the little ones of the flock; surely he shall make
 their habitation desolate over them. {50:46} At the noise of the
 taking of Babylon the earth trembles, and the cry is heard among the
 nations.

   {51:1} Thus says the LORD: Behold, I will raise up against Babylon,
 and against those who dwell in Lebkamai, a destroying wind. {51:2} I
 will send to Babylon strangers, who shall winnow her; and they shall
 empty her land: for in the day of trouble they shall be against her
 around. {51:3} Against him who bends let the archer bend his bow, and
 against him who lifts himself up in his coat of mail: and don't spare
 her young men; utterly destroy all her army. {51:4} They shall fall
 down slain in the land of the Kasdim, and thrust through in her
 streets. {51:5} For Israel is not forsaken, nor Judah, of his God, of
 the LORD of Hosts; though their land is full of guilt against the Holy
 One of Israel. {51:6} Flee out of the midst of Babylon, and save every
 man his life; don't be cut off in her iniquity: for it is the time of
 the LORD's vengeance; he will render to her a recompense. {51:7}
 Babylon has been a golden cup in the LORD's hand, who made all the
 earth drunken: the nations have drunk of her wine; therefore the
 nations are mad. {51:8} Babylon is suddenly fallen and destroyed: wail
 for her; take balm for her pain, if so be she may be healed. {51:9} We
 would have healed Babylon, but she is not healed: forsake her, and let
 us go everyone into his own country; for her judgment reaches to
 heaven, and is lifted up even to the skies. {51:10} The LORD has
 brought forth our righteousness: come, and let us declare in Zion the
 work of the LORD our God. {51:11} Make sharp the arrows; hold firm the
 shields: the LORD has stirred up the spirit of the kings of the Medes;
 because his purpose is against Babylon, to destroy it: for it is the
 vengeance of the LORD, the vengeance of his temple. {51:12} Set up a
 standard against the walls of Babylon, make the watch strong, set the
 watchmen, prepare the ambushes; for the LORD has both purposed and
 done that which he spoke concerning the inhabitants of Babylon.
 {51:13} You who dwell on many waters, abundant in treasures, your end
 has come, the measure of your covetousness. {51:14} The LORD of Hosts
 has sworn by himself, saying, Surely I will fill you with men, as with
 the canker worm; and they shall lift up a shout against you. {51:15}
 He has made the earth by his power, he has established the world by
 his wisdom, and by his understanding has he stretched out the heavens:
 {51:16} when he utters his voice, there is a tumult of waters in the
 heavens, and he causes the vapors to ascend from the ends of the
 earth; he makes lightning for the rain, and brings forth the wind out
 of his treasuries. {51:17} Every man has become brutish without
 knowledge. Every goldsmith is disappointed by his image; for his
 molten image is falsehood, and there is no breath in them. {51:18}
 They are vanity, a work of delusion: in the time of their visitation
 they shall perish. {51:19} The portion of Jacob is not like these; for
 he is the former of all things; and is the tribe of his inheritance:
 the LORD of Hosts is his name. {51:20} You are my battle axe and
 weapons of war: and with you will I break in pieces the nations; and
 with you will I destroy kingdoms; {51:21} and with you will I break in
 pieces the horse and his rider; {51:22} and with you will I break in
 pieces the chariot and him who rides therein; and with you will I
 break in pieces man and woman; and with you will I break in pieces the
 old man and the youth; and with you will I break in pieces the young
 man and the virgin; {51:23} and with you will I break in pieces the
 shepherd and his flock; and with you will I break in pieces the farmer
 and his yoke; and with you will I break in pieces governors and
 deputies. {51:24} I will render to Babylon and to all the inhabitants
 of the Kasdim for all their evil that they have done in Zion in your
 sight, says the LORD. {51:25} Behold, I am against you, destroying
 mountain, says the LORD, which destroys all the earth; and I will
 stretch out my hand on you, and roll you down from the rocks, and will
 make you a burnt mountain. {51:26} They shall not take of you a stone
 for a corner, nor a stone for foundations; but you shall be desolate
 for ever, says the LORD. {51:27} Set up a standard in the land, blow
 the [1>]shofar[<1] among the nations, prepare the nations against her,
 call together against her the kingdoms of Ararat, Minni, and Ashkenaz:
 appoint a marshal against her; cause the horses to come up as the
 rough canker worm. {51:28} Prepare against her the nations, the kings
 of the Medes, its governors, and all its deputies, and all the land of
 their dominion. {51:29} The land trembles and is in pain; for the
 purposes of the LORD against Babylon do stand, to make the land of
 Babylon a desolation, without inhabitant. {51:30} The mighty men of
 Babylon have forborne to fight, they remain in their strongholds;
 their might has failed; they are become as women: her dwelling places
 are set on fire; her bars are broken. {51:31} One runner will run to
 meet another, and one messenger to meet another, to show the king of
 Babylon that his city is taken on every quarter: {51:32} and the
 passages are seized, and the reeds they have burned with fire, and the
 men of war are frightened. {51:33} For thus says the LORD of Hosts,
 the God of Israel: The daughter of Babylon is like a threshing floor
 at the time when it is trodden; yet a little while, and the time of
 harvest shall come for her. {51:34} Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon
 has devoured me, he has crushed me, he has made me an empty vessel, he
 has, like a monster, swallowed me up, he has filled his maw with my
 delicacies; he has cast me out. {51:35} The violence done to me and to
 my flesh be on Babylon, shall the inhabitant of Zion say; and, My
 blood be on the inhabitants of the Kasdim, shall Jerusalem say.
 {51:36} Therefore thus says the LORD: Behold, I will plead your cause,
 and take vengeance for you; and I will dry up her sea, and make her
 fountain dry. {51:37} Babylon shall become heaps, a dwelling place for
 jackals, an astonishment, and a hissing, without inhabitant. {51:38}
 They shall roar together like young lions; they shall growl as lions'
 cubs. {51:39} When they are heated, I will make their feast, and I
 will make them drunken, that they may rejoice, and sleep a perpetual
 sleep, and not wake, says the LORD. {51:40} I will bring them down
 like lambs to the slaughter, like rams with male goats. {51:41} How is
 Sheshach taken! and the praise of the whole earth seized! how is
 Babylon become a desolation among the nations! {51:42} The sea has
 come up on Babylon; she is covered with the multitude of its waves.
 {51:43} Her cities are become a desolation, a dry land, and a desert,
 a land in which no man dwells, neither does any son of man pass
 thereby. {51:44} I will execute judgment on Bel in Babylon, and I will
 bring forth out of his mouth that which he has swallowed up; and the
 nations shall not flow any more to him: yes, the wall of Babylon shall
 fall. {51:45} My people, go away from the midst of her, and save
 yourselves every man from the fierce anger of the LORD. {51:46} Don't
 let your heart faint, neither fear for the news that shall be heard in
 the land; for news shall come one year, and after that in another year
 shall come news, and violence in the land, ruler against ruler.
 {51:47} Therefore behold, the days come, that I will execute judgment
 on the engraved images of Babylon; and her whole land shall be
 confounded; and all her slain shall fall in the midst of her. {51:48}
 Then the heavens and the earth, and all that is therein, shall sing
 for joy over Babylon; for the destroyers shall come to her from the
 north, says the LORD. {51:49} As Babylon has caused the slain of
 Israel to fall, so at Babylon shall fall the slain of all the land.
 {51:50} You who have escaped the sword, go, don't stand still;
 remember the LORD from afar, and let Jerusalem come into your mind.
 {51:51} We are confounded, because we have heard reproach; confusion
 has covered our faces: for strangers have come into the sanctuaries of
 the LORD's house. {51:52} Therefore behold, the days come, says the
 LORD, that I will execute judgment on her engraved images; and through
 all her land the wounded shall groan. {51:53} Though Babylon should
 mount up to the sky, and though she should fortify the height of her
 strength, yet from me shall destroyers come to her, says the LORD.
 {51:54} The sound of a cry from Babylon, and of great destruction from
 the land of the Kasdim! {51:55} For the LORD lays Babylon waste, and
 destroys out of her the great voice; and their waves roar like many
 waters; the noise of their voice is uttered: {51:56} for the destroyer
 has come on her, even on Babylon, and her mighty men are taken, their
 bows are broken in pieces; for the LORD is a God of recompenses, he
 will surely requite. {51:57} I will make drunk her princes and her
 wise men, her governors and her deputies, and her mighty men; and they
 shall sleep a perpetual sleep, and not wake up, says the King, whose
 name is the LORD of Hosts. {51:58} Thus says the LORD of Hosts: The
 broad walls of Babylon shall be utterly overthrown, and her high gates
 shall be burned with fire; and the peoples shall labor for vanity, and
 the nations for the fire; and they shall be weary. {51:59} The word
 which Jeremiah the prophet commanded Seraiah the son of Neriah, the
 son of Mahseiah, when he went with Zedekiah the king of Judah to
 Babylon in the fourth year of his reign. Now Seraiah was chief
 quartermaster. {51:60} Jeremiah wrote in a book all the evil that
 should come on Babylon, even all these words that are written
 concerning Babylon. {51:61} Jeremiah said to Seraiah, When you come to
 Babylon, then see that you read all these words, {51:62} and say,
 LORD, you have spoken concerning this place, to cut it off, that none
 shall dwell therein, neither man nor animal, but that it shall be
 desolate forever. {51:63} It shall be, when you have made an end of
 reading this book, that you shall bind a stone to it, and cast it into
 the midst of the Euphrates: {51:64} and you shall say, Thus shall
 Babylon sink, and shall not rise again because of the evil that I will
 bring on her; and they shall be weary. Thus far are the words of
 Jeremiah.

Footnotes:
[1] {51:27} or, trumpet

The World English Bible: Messianic Edition is in the Public Domain.
This translation is also known as the Hebrew Names Version. "World
English Bible," "World English Bible: Messianic Edition," and "World
English Bible" are trademarks of Rainbow Missions, Inc., and may only
be used as names for the Bible translations so named and distributed by
Rainbow Missions, Inc., and faithful copies thereof. Typo reports are
welcome at http://eBible.org/cgi-bin/comment.cgi. Please see
http://HNVBible.org for updates.