arch...@jab.org

Ezekiel, starting at chapter 16

   {16:1} Again the word of the LORD came to me, saying, {16:2} Son of
 man, cause Jerusalem to know her abominations; {16:3} and say, Thus
 says the Lord GOD to Jerusalem: Your birth and your birth is of the
 land of the Canaanite; the Amorite was your father, and your mother
 was a Hittite. {16:4} As for your birth, in the day you were born your
 navel was not cut, neither were you washed in water to cleanse you;
 you weren't salted at all, nor swaddled at all. {16:5} No eye pitied
 you, to do any of these things to you, to have compassion on you; but
 you were cast out in the open field, for that your person was
 abhorred, in the day that you were born. {16:6} When I passed by you,
 and saw you wallowing in your blood, I said to you, Though you are in
 your blood, live; yes, I said to you, Though you are in your blood,
 live. {16:7} I caused you to multiply as that which grows in the
 field, and you increased and grew great, and you attained to excellent
 ornament; your breasts were fashioned, and your hair was grown; yet
 you were naked and bare. {16:8} Now when I passed by you, and looked
 at you, behold, your time was the time of love; and I spread my skirt
 over you, and covered your nakedness: yes, I swore to you, and entered
 into a covenant with you, says the Lord GOD, and you became mine.
 {16:9} Then washed I you with water; yes, I thoroughly washed away
 your blood from you, and I anointed you with oil. {16:10} I clothed
 you also with embroidered work, and shod you with sealskin, and I
 dressed you about with fine linen, and covered you with silk. {16:11}
 I decked you with ornaments, and I put bracelets on your hands, and a
 chain on your neck. {16:12} I put a ring on your nose, and earrings in
 your ears, and a beautiful crown on your head. {16:13} Thus you were
 decked with gold and silver; and your clothing was of fine linen, and
 silk, and embroidered work; you ate fine flour, and honey, and oil;
 and you were exceeding beautiful, and you prospered to royal estate.
 {16:14} Your renown went forth among the nations for your beauty; for
 it was perfect, through my majesty which I had put on you, says the
 Lord GOD. {16:15} But you trusted in your beauty, and played the
 prostitute because of your renown, and poured out your prostitution on
 everyone who passed by; his it was. {16:16} You took of your garments,
 and made for yourselves high places decked with various colors, and
 played the prostitute on them: [the like things] shall not come,
 neither shall it be [so]. {16:17} You also took your beautiful jewels
 of my gold and of my silver, which I had given you, and made for
 yourself images of men, and played the prostitute with them; {16:18}
 and you took your embroidered garments, and covered them, and set my
 oil and my incense before them. {16:19} My bread also which I gave
 you, fine flour, and oil, and honey, with which I fed you, you even
 set it before them for a pleasant aroma; and [thus] it was, says the
 Lord GOD. {16:20} Moreover you have taken your sons and your
 daughters, whom you have borne to me, and you have sacrificed these to
 them to be devoured. Was your prostitution a small matter, {16:21}
 that you have slain my children, and delivered them up, in causing
 them to pass through [the fire] to them? {16:22} In all your
 abominations and your prostitution you have not remembered the days of
 your youth, when you were naked and bare, and were wallowing in your
 blood. {16:23} It has happened after all your wickedness, (woe, woe to
 you! says the Lord GOD), {16:24} that you have built for yourselves a
 vaulted place, and have made yourselves a lofty place in every street.
 {16:25} You have built your lofty place at the head of every way, and
 have made your beauty an abomination, and have opened your feet to
 everyone who passed by, and multiplied your prostitution. {16:26} You
 have also committed sexual immorality with the Egyptians, your
 neighbors, great of flesh; and have multiplied your prostitution, to
 provoke me to anger. {16:27} See therefore, I have stretched out my
 hand over you, and have diminished your ordinary [food], and delivered
 you to the will of those who hate you, the daughters of the
 Philistines, who are ashamed of your lewd way. {16:28} You have played
 the prostitute also with the Assyrians, because you were insatiable;
 yes, you have played the prostitute with them, and yet you weren't
 satisfied. {16:29} You have moreover multiplied your prostitution to
 the land of merchants, to Kasdimah; and yet you weren't satisfied with
 this. {16:30} How weak is your heart, says the Lord GOD, since you do
 all these things, the work of an impudent prostitute; {16:31} in that
 you build your vaulted place at the head of every way, and make your
 lofty place in every street, and have not been as a prostitute, in
 that you scorn pay. {16:32} A wife who commits adultery! who takes
 strangers instead of her husband! {16:33} They give gifts to all
 prostitutes; but you give your gifts to all your lovers, and bribe
 them, that they may come to you on every side for your prostitution.
 {16:34} You are different from [other] women in your prostitution, in
 that no one follows you to play the prostitute; and whereas you give
 hire, and no hire is given to you, therefore you are different.
 {16:35} Therefore, prostitute, hear the word of the LORD: {16:36} Thus
 says the Lord GOD, Because your filthiness was poured out, and your
 nakedness uncovered through your prostitution with your lovers; and
 because of all the idols of your abominations, and for the blood of
 your children, that you gave to them; {16:37} therefore see, I will
 gather all your lovers, with whom you have taken pleasure, and all
 those who you have loved, with all those who you have hated; I will
 even gather them against you on every side, and will uncover your
 nakedness to them, that they may see all your nakedness. {16:38} I
 will judge you, as women who break wedlock and shed blood are judged;
 and I will bring on you the blood of wrath and jealousy. {16:39} I
 will also give you into their hand, and they shall throw down your
 vaulted place, and break down your lofty places; and they shall strip
 you of your clothes, and take your beautiful jewels; and they shall
 leave you naked and bare. {16:40} They shall also bring up a company
 against you, and they shall stone you with stones, and thrust you
 through with their swords. {16:41} They shall burn your houses with
 fire, and execute judgments on you in the sight of many women; and I
 will cause you to cease from playing the prostitute, and you shall
 also give no hire any more. {16:42} So will I cause my wrath toward
 you to rest, and my jealousy shall depart from you, and I will be
 quiet, and will be no more angry. {16:43} Because you have not
 remembered the days of your youth, but have raged against me in all
 these things; therefore, behold, I also will bring your way on your
 head, says the Lord GOD: and you shall not commit this lewdness with
 all your abominations. {16:44} Behold, everyone who uses proverbs
 shall use [this] proverb against you, saying, As is the mother, so is
 her daughter. {16:45} You are the daughter of your mother, who loathes
 her husband and her children; and you are the sister of your sisters,
 who loathed their husbands and their children: your mother was a
 Hittite, and your father an Amorite. {16:46} Your elder sister is
 Samaria, who dwells at your left hand, she and her daughters; and your
 younger sister, who dwells at your right hand, is Sodom and her
 daughters. {16:47} Yet have you not walked in their ways, nor done
 after their abominations; but, as [if that were] a very little
 [thing], you were more corrupt than they in all your ways. {16:48} As
 I live, says the Lord GOD, Sodom your sister has not done, she nor her
 daughters, as you have done, you and your daughters. {16:49} Behold,
 this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: pride, fullness of bread,
 and prosperous ease was in her and in her daughters; neither did she
 strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. {16:50} They were haughty,
 and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I
 saw [good]. {16:51} Neither has Samaria committed half of your sins;
 but you have multiplied your abominations more than they, and have
 justified your sisters by all your abominations which you have done.
 {16:52} You also, bear you your own shame, in that you have given
 judgment for your sisters; through your sins that you have committed
 more abominable than they, they are more righteous that you: yes, be
 also confounded, and bear your shame, in that you have justified your
 sisters. {16:53} I will turn again their captivity, the captivity of
 Sodom and her daughters, and the captivity of Samaria and her
 daughters, and the captivity of your captives in their midst; {16:54}
 that you may bear your own shame, and may be ashamed because of all
 that you have done, in that you are a comfort to them. {16:55} Your
 sisters, Sodom and her daughters, shall return to their former estate;
 and Samaria and her daughters shall return to their former estate; and
 you and your daughters shall return to your former estate. {16:56} For
 your sister Sodom was not mentioned by your mouth in the day of your
 pride, {16:57} before your wickedness was uncovered, as at the time of
 the reproach of the daughters of Syria, and of all who are around her,
 the daughters of the Philistines, who do despite to you all around.
 {16:58} You have borne your lewdness and your abominations, says the
 LORD. {16:59} For thus says the Lord GOD: I will also deal with you as
 you have done, who have despised the oath in breaking the covenant.
 {16:60} Nevertheless I will remember my covenant with you in the days
 of your youth, and I will establish to you an everlasting covenant.
 {16:61} Then you shall remember your ways, and be ashamed, when you
 shall receive your sisters, your elder [sisters] and your younger; and
 I will give them to you for daughters, but not by your covenant.
 {16:62} I will establish my covenant with you; and you shall know that
 I am the LORD; {16:63} that you may remember, and be confounded, and
 never open your mouth any more, because of your shame, when I have
 forgiven you all that you have done, says the Lord GOD.

   {17:1} The word of the LORD came to me, saying, {17:2} Son of man,
 put forth a riddle, and speak a parable to the house of Israel; {17:3}
 and say, Thus says the Lord GOD: A great eagle with great wings and
 long feathers, full of feathers, which had various colors, came to
 Lebanon, and took the top of the cedar: {17:4} he cropped off the
 topmost of the young twigs of it, and carried it to a land of traffic;
 he set it in a city of merchants. {17:5} He took also of the seed of
 the land, and planted it in a fruitful soil; he placed it beside many
 waters; he set it as a willow tree. {17:6} It grew, and became a
 spreading vine of low stature, whose branches turned toward him, and
 its roots were under him: so it became a vine, and brought forth
 branches, and shot forth sprigs. {17:7} There was also another great
 eagle with great wings and many feathers: and behold, this vine bent
 its roots toward him, and shot forth its branches toward him, from the
 beds of its plantation, that he might water it. {17:8} It was planted
 in a good soil by many waters, that it might bring forth branches, and
 that it might bear fruit, that it might be a goodly vine. {17:9} Say,
 Thus says the Lord GOD: Shall it prosper? shall he not pull up its
 roots, and cut off its fruit, that it may wither; that all its fresh
 springing leaves may wither? and not by a strong arm or many people
 can it be raised from its roots. {17:10} Yes, behold, being planted,
 shall it prosper? shall it not utterly wither, when the east wind
 touches it? it shall wither in the beds where it grew. {17:11}
 Moreover the word of the LORD came to me, saying, {17:12} Say now to
 the rebellious house, Don't you know what these things mean? tell
 them, Behold, the king of Babylon came to Jerusalem, and took its
 king, and its princes, and brought them to him to Babylon: {17:13} and
 he took of the seed royal, and made a covenant with him; he also
 brought him under an oath, and took away the mighty of the land;
 {17:14} that the kingdom might be base, that it might not lift itself
 up, but that by keeping his covenant it might stand. {17:15} But he
 rebelled against him in sending his ambassadors into Egypt, that they
 might give him horses and many people. Shall he prosper? shall he
 escape who does such things? shall he break the covenant, and yet
 escape? {17:16} As I live, says the Lord GOD, surely in the place
 where the king dwells who made him king, whose oath he despised, and
 whose covenant he broke, even with him in the midst of Babylon he
 shall die. {17:17} Neither shall Pharaoh with his mighty army and
 great company help him in the war, when they cast up mounds and build
 forts, to cut off many persons. {17:18} For he has despised the oath
 by breaking the covenant; and behold, he had given his hand, and yet
 has done all these things; he shall not escape. {17:19} Therefore thus
 says the Lord GOD: As I live, surely my oath that he has despised, and
 my covenant that he has broken, I will even bring it on his own head.
 {17:20} I will spread my net on him, and he shall be taken in my
 snare, and I will bring him to Babylon, and will enter into judgment
 with him there for his trespass that he has trespassed against me.
 {17:21} All his fugitives in all his bands shall fall by the sword,
 and those who remain shall be scattered toward every wind: and you
 shall know that I, the LORD, have spoken it. {17:22} Thus says the
 Lord GOD: I will also take of the lofty top of the cedar, and will set
 it; I will crop off from the topmost of its young twigs a tender one,
 and I will plant it on a high and lofty mountain: {17:23} in the
 mountain of the height of Israel will I plant it; and it shall bring
 forth boughs, and bear fruit, and be a goodly cedar: and under it
 shall dwell all birds of every wing; in the shade of its branches
 shall they dwell. {17:24} All the trees of the field shall know that
 I, the LORD, have brought down the high tree, have exalted the low
 tree, have dried up the green tree, and have made the dry tree to
 flourish; I, the LORD, have spoken and have done it.

   {18:1} The word of the LORD came to me again, saying, {18:2} What do
 you mean, that you use this proverb concerning Eretz-Israel, saying,
 The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set
 on edge? {18:3} As I live, says the Lord GOD, you shall not have
 [occasion] any more to use this proverb in Israel. {18:4} Behold, all
 souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son
 is mine: the soul who sins, he shall die. {18:5} But if a man is just,
 and does that which is lawful and right, {18:6} and has not eaten on
 the mountains, neither has lifted up his eyes to the idols of the
 house of Israel, neither has defiled his neighbor's wife, neither has
 come near to a woman in her impurity, {18:7} and has not wronged any,
 but has restored to the debtor his pledge, has taken nothing by
 robbery, has given his bread to the hungry, and has covered the naked
 with a garment; {18:8} he who has not given forth on interest, neither
 has taken any increase, who has withdrawn his hand from iniquity, has
 executed true justice between man and man, {18:9} has walked in my
 statutes, and has kept my ordinances, to deal truly; he is just, he
 shall surely live, says the Lord GOD. {18:10} If he fathers a son who
 is a robber, a shedder of blood, and who does any one of these things,
 {18:11} and who does not any of those [duties], but even has eaten on
 the mountains, and defiled his neighbor's wife, {18:12} has wronged
 the poor and needy, has taken by robbery, has not restored the pledge,
 and has lifted up his eyes to the idols, has committed abomination,
 {18:13} has given forth on interest, and has taken increase; shall he
 then live? he shall not live: he has done all these abominations; he
 shall surely die; his blood shall be on him. {18:14} Now, behold, if
 he fathers a son, who sees all his father's sins, which he has done,
 and fears, and does not such like; {18:15} who has not eaten on the
 mountains, neither has lifted up his eyes to the idols of the house of
 Israel, has not defiled his neighbor's wife, {18:16} neither has
 wronged any, has not taken anything to pledge, neither has taken by
 robbery, but has given his bread to the hungry, and has covered the
 naked with a garment; {18:17} who has withdrawn his hand from the
 poor, who has not received interest nor increase, has executed my
 ordinances, has walked in my statutes; he shall not die for the
 iniquity of his father, he shall surely live. {18:18} As for his
 father, because he cruelly oppressed, robbed his brother, and did that
 which is not good among his people, behold, he shall die in his
 iniquity. {18:19} Yet you say, Why doesn't the son bear the iniquity
 of the father? When the son has done that which is lawful and right,
 and has kept all my statutes, and has done them, he shall surely live.
 {18:20} The soul who sins, he shall die: the son shall not bear the
 iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of
 the son; the righteousness of the righteous shall be on him, and the
 wickedness of the wicked shall be on him. {18:21} But if the wicked
 turn from all his sins that he has committed, and keep all my
 statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live,
 he shall not die. {18:22} None of his transgressions that he has
 committed shall be remembered against him: in his righteousness that
 he has done he shall live. {18:23} Have I any pleasure in the death of
 the wicked? says the Lord GOD; and not rather that he should return
 from his way, and live? {18:24} But when the righteous turns away from
 his righteousness, and commits iniquity, and does according to all the
 abominations that the wicked man does, shall he live? None of his
 righteous deeds that he has done shall be remembered: in his trespass
 that he has trespassed, and in his sin that he has sinned, in them
 shall he die. {18:25} Yet you say, The way of the Lord is not equal.
 Hear now, house of Israel: Is my way not equal? Aren't your ways
 unequal? {18:26} When the righteous man turns away from his
 righteousness, and commits iniquity, and dies therein; in his iniquity
 that he has done shall he die. {18:27} Again, when the wicked man
 turns away from his wickedness that he has committed, and does that
 which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul alive. {18:28}
 Because he considers, and turns away from all his transgressions that
 he has committed, he shall surely live, he shall not die. {18:29} Yet
 the house of Israel says, "The way of the Lord is not fair." House of
 Israel, aren't my ways fair? Aren't your ways unfair? {18:30}
 Therefore I will judge you, house of Israel, everyone according to his
 ways, says the Lord GOD. Return, and turn yourselves from all your
 transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin. {18:31} Cast away
 from you all your transgressions, in which you have transgressed; and
 make yourself a new heart and a new spirit: for why will you die,
 house of Israel? {18:32} For I have no pleasure in the death of him
 who dies, says the Lord GOD: therefore turn yourselves, and live.

The World English Bible: Messianic Edition is in the Public Domain.
This translation is also known as the Hebrew Names Version. "World
English Bible," "World English Bible: Messianic Edition," and "World
English Bible" are trademarks of Rainbow Missions, Inc., and may only
be used as names for the Bible translations so named and distributed by
Rainbow Missions, Inc., and faithful copies thereof. Typo reports are
welcome at http://eBible.org/cgi-bin/comment.cgi. Please see
http://HNVBible.org for updates.