Deuteronomy, starting at chapter 7

   {7:1} When the LORD your God shall bring you into the land where you
 go to possess it, and shall cast out many nations before you, the
 Hittite, and the Girgashite, and the Amorite, and the Canaanite, and
 the Perizzite, and the Hivite, and the Jebusite, seven nations greater
 and mightier than you; {7:2} and when the LORD your God shall deliver
 them up before you, and you shall strike them; then you shall utterly
 destroy them: you shall make no covenant with them, nor show mercy to
 them; {7:3} neither shall you make marriages with them; your daughter
 you shall not give to his son, nor shall you take his daughter for
 your son. {7:4} For he will turn away your son from following me, that
 they may serve other gods: so the anger of the LORD would be kindled
 against you, and he would destroy you quickly. {7:5} But you shall
 deal with them like this: you shall break down their altars, and dash
 their pillars in pieces, and cut down their Asherim, and burn their
 engraved images with fire. {7:6} For you are a holy people to the LORD
 your God: the LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his own
 possession, above all peoples who are on the face of the earth. {7:7}
 The LORD didn't set his love on you, nor choose you, because you were
 more in number than any people; for you were the fewest of all
 peoples: {7:8} but because the LORD loves you, and because he would
 keep the oath which he swore to your fathers, has the LORD brought you
 out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you out of the house of bondage,
 from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt. {7:9} Know therefore that the
 LORD your God, he is God, the faithful God, who keeps covenant and
 loving kindness with them who love him and keep his commandments to a
 thousand generations, {7:10} and repays those who hate him to their
 face, to destroy them: he will not be slack to him who hates him, he
 will repay him to his face. {7:11} You shall therefore keep the
 commandment, and the statutes, and the ordinances, which I command you
 this day, to do them. {7:12} It shall happen, because you listen to
 these ordinances, and keep and do them, that the LORD your God will
 keep with you the covenant and the loving kindness which he swore to
 your fathers: {7:13} and he will love you, and bless you, and multiply
 you; he will also bless the fruit of your body and the fruit of your
 ground, your grain and your new wine and your oil, the increase of
 your livestock and the young of your flock, in the land which he swore
 to your fathers to give you. {7:14} You shall be blessed above all
 peoples: there shall not be male or female barren among you, or among
 your livestock. {7:15} The LORD will take away from you all sickness;
 and none of the evil diseases of Egypt, which you know, he will put on
 you, but will lay them on all those who hate you. {7:16} You shall
 consume all the peoples whom the LORD your God shall deliver to you;
 your eye shall not pity them: neither shall you serve their gods; for
 that will be a snare to you. {7:17} If you shall say in your heart,
 "These nations are more than I; how can I dispossess them?" {7:18} you
 shall not be afraid of them: you shall well remember what the LORD
 your God did to Pharaoh, and to all Egypt; {7:19} the great trials
 which your eyes saw, and the signs, and the wonders, and the mighty
 hand, and the outstretched arm, by which the LORD your God brought you
 out: so shall the LORD your God do to all the peoples of whom you are
 afraid. {7:20} Moreover the LORD your God will send the hornet among
 them, until those who are left, and hide themselves, perish from
 before you. {7:21} You shall not be scared of them; for the LORD your
 God is in the midst of you, a great and awesome God. {7:22} The LORD
 your God will cast out those nations before you by little and little:
 you may not consume them at once, lest the animals of the field
 increase on you. {7:23} But the LORD your God will deliver them up
 before you, and will confuse them with a great confusion, until they
 be destroyed. {7:24} He will deliver their kings into your hand, and
 you shall make their name to perish from under the sky: no man shall
 be able to stand before you, until you have destroyed them. {7:25} You
 shall burn the engraved images of their gods with fire. You shall not
 covet the silver or the gold that is on them, nor take it for
 yourself, lest you be snared in it; for it is an abomination to the
 LORD your God. {7:26} You shall not bring an abomination into your
 house, and become a devoted thing like it. You shall utterly detest
 it, and you shall utterly abhor it; for it is a devoted thing.

   {8:1} You shall observe to do all the commandment which I command
 you this day, that you may live, and multiply, and go in and possess
 the land which the LORD swore to your fathers. {8:2} You shall
 remember all the way which the LORD your God has led you these forty
 years in the wilderness, that he might humble you, to prove you, to
 know what was in your heart, whether you would keep his commandments,
 or not. {8:3} He humbled you, and allowed you to be hungry, and fed
 you with manna, which you didn't know, neither did your fathers know;
 that he might make you know that man does not live by bread only, but
 man lives by everything that proceeds out of the mouth of the LORD.
 {8:4} Your clothing didn't grow old on you, neither did your foot
 swell, these forty years. {8:5} You shall consider in your heart that
 as a man chastens his son, so the LORD your God chastens you. {8:6}
 You shall keep the commandments of the LORD your God, to walk in his
 ways, and to fear him. {8:7} For the LORD your God brings you into a
 good land, a land of brooks of water, of springs, and underground
 water flowing into valleys and hills; {8:8} a land of wheat and
 barley, and vines and fig trees and pomegranates; a land of olive
 trees and honey; {8:9} a land in which you shall eat bread without
 scarceness, you shall not lack anything in it; a land whose stones are
 iron, and out of whose hills you may dig copper. {8:10} You shall eat
 and be full, and you shall bless the LORD your God for the good land
 which he has given you. {8:11} Beware lest you forget the LORD your
 God, in not keeping his commandments, and his ordinances, and his
 statutes, which I command you this day: {8:12} lest, when you have
 eaten and are full, and have built goodly houses, and lived therein;
 {8:13} and when your herds and your flocks multiply, and your silver
 and your gold is multiplied, and all that you have is multiplied;
 {8:14} then your heart be lifted up, and you forget the LORD your God,
 who brought you forth out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of
 bondage; {8:15} who led you through the great and terrible wilderness,
 with fiery serpents and scorpions, and thirsty ground where there was
 no water; who brought you forth water out of the rock of flint; {8:16}
 who fed you in the wilderness with manna, which your fathers didn't
 know; that he might humble you, and that he might prove you, to do you
 good at your latter end: {8:17} and lest you say in your heart, "My
 power and the might of my hand has gotten me this wealth." {8:18} But
 you shall remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you power
 to get wealth; that he may establish his covenant which he swore to
 your fathers, as at this day.

   {8:19} It shall be, if you shall forget the LORD your God, and walk
 after other gods, and serve them, and worship them, I testify against
 you this day that you shall surely perish. {8:20} As the nations that
 the LORD makes to perish before you, so you shall perish; because you
 wouldn't listen to the voice of the LORD your God.

   {9:1} Hear, Israel: you are to pass over the Jordan this day, to go
 in to dispossess nations greater and mightier than yourself, cities
 great and fortified up to the sky, {9:2} a people great and tall, the
 sons of the Anakim, whom you know, and of whom you have heard say,
 "Who can stand before the sons of Anak?" {9:3} Know therefore this
 day, that the LORD your God is he who goes over before you as a
 devouring fire; he will destroy them, and he will bring them down
 before you: so you shall drive them out, and make them to perish
 quickly, as the LORD has spoken to you.

   {9:4} Don't say in your heart, after the LORD your God has thrust
 them out from before you, saying, "For my righteousness the LORD has
 brought me in to possess this land"; because the LORD drives them out
 before you because of the wickedness of these nations. {9:5} Not for
 your righteousness, or for the uprightness of your heart, do you go in
 to possess their land; but for the wickedness of these nations the
 LORD your God does drive them out from before you, and that he may
 establish the word which the LORD swore to your fathers, to Abraham,
 to Isaac, and to Jacob. {9:6} Know therefore, that the LORD your God
 doesn't give you this good land to possess it for your righteousness;
 for you are a stiff-necked people. {9:7} Remember, don't forget, how
 you provoked the LORD your God to wrath in the wilderness: from the
 day that you went forth out of the land of Egypt, until you came to
 this place, you have been rebellious against the LORD. {9:8} Also in
 Horeb you provoked the LORD to wrath, and the LORD was angry with you
 to destroy you. {9:9} When I was gone up onto the mountain to receive
 the tables of stone, even the tables of the covenant which the LORD
 made with you, then I stayed on the mountain forty days and forty
 nights; I neither ate bread nor drank water. {9:10} The LORD delivered
 to me the two tables of stone written with the finger of God; and on
 them were all the words which the LORD spoke with you on the mountain
 out of the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly.

   {9:11} It came to pass at the end of forty days and forty nights,
 that the LORD gave me the two tables of stone, even the tables of the
 covenant. {9:12} The LORD said to me, "Arise, get down quickly from
 here; for your people whom you have brought out of Egypt have
 corrupted themselves; they have quickly turned aside out of the way
 which I commanded them; they have made them a molten image."

   {9:13} Furthermore the LORD spoke to me, saying, "I have seen this
 people, and behold, it is a stiff-necked people: {9:14} let me alone,
 that I may destroy them, and blot out their name from under the sky;
 and I will make of you a nation mightier and greater than they."

   {9:15} So I turned and came down from the mountain, and the mountain
 was burning with fire: and the two tables of the covenant were in my
 two hands. {9:16} I looked, and behold, you had sinned against the
 LORD your God; you had made yourselves a molten calf: you had turned
 aside quickly out of the way which the LORD had commanded you. {9:17}
 I took hold of the two tables, and cast them out of my two hands, and
 broke them before your eyes. {9:18} I fell down before the LORD, as at
 the first, forty days and forty nights; I neither ate bread nor drank
 water; because of all your sin which you sinned, in doing that which
 was evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger. {9:19} For
 I was afraid of the anger and hot displeasure, with which the LORD was
 angry against you to destroy you. But the LORD listened to me that
 time also. {9:20} The LORD was very angry with Aaron to destroy him:
 and I prayed for Aaron also at the same time. {9:21} I took your sin,
 the calf which you had made, and burnt it with fire, and stamped it,
 grinding it very small, until it was as fine as dust: and I cast its
 dust into the brook that descended out of the mountain. {9:22} At
 Taberah, and at Massah, and at Kibroth Hattaavah, you provoked the
 LORD to wrath. {9:23} When the LORD sent you from Kadesh Barnea,
 saying, "Go up and possess the land which I have given you"; then you
 rebelled against the commandment of the LORD your God, and you didn't
 believe him, nor listen to his voice. {9:24} You have been rebellious
 against the LORD from the day that I knew you. {9:25} So I fell down
 before the LORD the forty days and forty nights that I fell down,
 because the LORD had said he would destroy you. {9:26} I prayed to the
 LORD, and said, "Lord GOD, don't destroy your people and your
 inheritance, that you have redeemed through your greatness, that you
 have brought out of Egypt with a mighty hand. {9:27} Remember your
 servants, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; don't look to the stubbornness of
 this people, nor to their wickedness, nor to their sin, {9:28} lest
 the land you brought us out from say, 'Because the LORD was not able
 to bring them into the land which he promised to them, and because he
 hated them, he has brought them out to kill them in the wilderness.'
 {9:29} Yet they are your people and your inheritance, which you
 brought out by your great power and by your outstretched arm."

The World English Bible: Messianic Edition is in the Public Domain.
This translation is also known as the Hebrew Names Version. "World
English Bible," "World English Bible: Messianic Edition," and "World
English Bible" are trademarks of Rainbow Missions, Inc., and may only
be used as names for the Bible translations so named and distributed by
Rainbow Missions, Inc., and faithful copies thereof. Typo reports are
welcome at http://eBible.org/cgi-bin/comment.cgi. Please see
http://HNVBible.org for updates.