The Second Book of Samuel, starting at chapter 4

    {4:1} When Saul's son heard that Abner was dead in Hebron, his
 hands became feeble, and all the Israelites were troubled. {4:2}
 Saul's son had two men who were captains of bands: the name of the one
 was Baanah, and the name of the other Rechab, the sons of Rimmon the
 Beerothite, of the children of Benjamin (for Beeroth also is reckoned
 to Benjamin: {4:3} and the Beerothites fled to Gittaim, and have lived
 as foreigners there until this day). {4:4} Now Jonathan, Saul's son,
 had a son who was lame of his feet. He was five years old when the
 news came of Saul and Jonathan out of Jezreel; and his nurse took him
 up, and fled: and it happened, as she made haste to flee, that he
 fell, and became lame. His name was Mephibosheth. {4:5} The sons of
 Rimmon the Beerothite, Rechab and Baanah, went, and came about the
 heat of the day to the house of Ishbosheth, as he took his rest at
 noon. {4:6} They came there into the midst of the house, as though
 they would have fetched wheat; and they struck him in the body: and
 Rechab and Baanah his brother escaped. {4:7} Now when they came into
 the house, as he lay on his bed in his bedroom, they struck him, and
 killed him, and beheaded him, and took his head, and went by the way
 of the Arabah all night. {4:8} They brought the head of Ishbosheth to
 David to Hebron, and said to the king, "Behold, the head of
 Ishbosheth, the son of Saul, your enemy, who sought your life! the
 LORD has avenged my lord the king this day of Saul, and of his seed."

   {4:9} David answered Rechab and Baanah his brother, the sons of
 Rimmon the Beerothite, and said to them, "As the LORD lives, who has
 redeemed my soul out of all adversity, {4:10} when someone told me,
 'Behold, Saul is dead,' thinking to have brought good news, I took
 hold of him, and killed him in Ziklag, which was the reward I gave him
 for his news. {4:11} How much more, when wicked men have slain a
 righteous person in his own house on his bed, shall I not now require
 his blood of your hand, and take you away from the earth?" {4:12}
 David commanded his young men, and they killed them, and cut off their
 hands and their feet, and hanged them up beside the pool in Hebron.
 But they took the head of Ishbosheth, and buried it in the grave of
 Abner in Hebron.

   {5:1} Then came all the tribes of Israel to David to Hebron, and
 spoke, saying, "Behold, we are your bone and your flesh. {5:2} In
 times past, when Saul was king over us, it was you who led out and
 brought in Israel. The LORD said to you, 'You shall be shepherd of my
 people Israel, and you shall be prince over Israel.'" {5:3} So all the
 elders of Israel came to the king to Hebron; and king David made a
 covenant with them in Hebron before the LORD; and they anointed David
 king over Israel. {5:4} David was thirty years old when he began to
 reign, and he reigned forty years. {5:5} In Hebron he reigned over
 Judah seven years and six months; and in Jerusalem he reigned
 thirty-three years over all Israel and Judah. {5:6} The king and his
 men went to Jerusalem against the Jebusites, the inhabitants of the
 land, who spoke to David, saying, "Unless you take away the blind and
 the lame, you shall not come in here"; thinking, "David can't come in
 here." {5:7} Nevertheless David took the stronghold of Zion; the same
 is the city of David. {5:8} David said on that day, "Whoever strikes
 the Jebusites, let him get up to the watercourse, and strike the lame
 and the blind, who are hated by David's soul." Therefore they say,
 "The blind and the lame can't come into the house." {5:9} David lived
 in the stronghold, and called it the city of David. David built around
 from Millo and inward. {5:10} David grew greater and greater; for the
 LORD, the God of Hosts, was with him. {5:11} Hiram king of Tyre sent
 messengers to David, and cedar trees, and carpenters, and masons; and
 they built David a house. {5:12} David perceived that the LORD had
 established him king over Israel, and that he had exalted his kingdom
 for his people Israel's sake. {5:13} David took him more concubines
 and wives out of Jerusalem, after he had come from Hebron; and there
 were yet sons and daughters born to David. {5:14} These are the names
 of those who were born to him in Jerusalem: Shammua, and Shobab, and
 Nathan, and Solomon, {5:15} and Ibhar, and Elishua, and Nepheg, and
 Japhia, {5:16} and Elishama, and Eliada, and Eliphelet. {5:17} When
 the Philistines heard that they had anointed David king over Israel,
 all the Philistines went up to seek David; and David heard of it, and
 went down to the stronghold. {5:18} Now the Philistines had come and
 spread themselves in the valley of Rephaim. {5:19} David inquired of
 the LORD, saying, "Shall I go up against the Philistines? Will you
 deliver them into my hand?"

   The LORD said to David, "Go up; for I will certainly deliver the
 Philistines into your hand."

   {5:20} David came to Baal Perazim, and David struck them there; and
 he said, "The LORD has broken my enemies before me, like the breach of
 waters." Therefore he called the name of that place Baal Perazim.
 {5:21} They left their images there; and David and his men took them
 away. {5:22} The Philistines came up yet again, and spread themselves
 in the valley of Rephaim. {5:23} When David inquired of the LORD, he
 said, "You shall not go up. Circle around behind them, and attack them
 over against the mulberry trees. {5:24} It shall be, when you hear the
 sound of marching in the tops of the mulberry trees, that then you
 shall stir yourself up; for then the LORD has gone out before you to
 strike the army of the Philistines."

   {5:25} David did so, as the LORD commanded him, and struck the
 Philistines from Geba until you come to Gezer.

   {6:1} David again gathered together all the chosen men of Israel,
 thirty thousand. {6:2} David arose, and went with all the people who
 were with him, from Baale Judah, to bring up from there the ark of
 God, which is called by the Name, even the name of the LORD of Hosts
 who sits above the cherubim. {6:3} They set the ark of God on a new
 cart, and brought it out of the house of Abinadab that was in the
 hill: and Uzzah and Ahio, the sons of Abinadab, drove the new cart.
 {6:4} They brought it out of the house of Abinadab, which was in the
 hill, with the ark of God: and Ahio went before the ark. {6:5} David
 and all the house of Israel played before the LORD with all kinds of
 instruments made of fir wood, and with harps, and with stringed
 instruments, and with tambourines, and with castanets, and with
 cymbals. {6:6} When they came to the threshing floor of Nacon, Uzzah
 reached for the ark of God, and took hold of it; for the cattle
 stumbled. {6:7} The anger of the LORD was kindled against Uzzah; and
 God struck him there for his error; and there he died by the ark of
 God. {6:8} David was displeased, because the LORD had broken forth on
 Uzzah; and he called that place Perez Uzzah, to this day. {6:9} David
 was afraid of the LORD that day; and he said, "How shall the ark of
 the LORD come to me?" {6:10} So David would not move the ark of the
 LORD to be with him in the city of David; but David carried it aside
 into the house of Obed-Edom the Gittite. {6:11} The ark of the LORD
 remained in the house of Obed-Edom the Gittite three months: and the
 LORD blessed Obed-Edom, and all his house. {6:12} It was told king
 David, saying, "The LORD has blessed the house of Obed-Edom, and all
 that pertains to him, because of the ark of God."

   David went and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-Edom
 into the city of David with joy. {6:13} It was so, that, when those
 who bore the ark of the LORD had gone six paces, he sacrificed an ox
 and a fattened calf. {6:14} David danced before the LORD with all his
 might; and David was clothed in a linen ephod. {6:15} So David and all
 the house of Israel brought up the ark of the LORD with shouting, and
 with the sound of the [1>]shofar[<1]. {6:16} It was so, as the ark of
 the LORD came into the city of David, that Michal the daughter of Saul
 looked out at the window, and saw king David leaping and dancing
 before the LORD; and she despised him in her heart. {6:17} They
 brought in the ark of the LORD, and set it in its place, in the midst
 of the tent that David had pitched for it; and David offered burnt
 offerings and peace offerings before the LORD. {6:18} When David had
 made an end of offering the burnt offering and the peace offerings, he
 blessed the people in the name of the LORD of Hosts. {6:19} He gave to
 all the people, even among the whole multitude of Israel, both to men
 and women, to everyone a portion of bread, dates, and raisins. So all
 the people departed everyone to his house. {6:20} Then David returned
 to bless his household. Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet
 David, and said, "How glorious the king of Israel was today, who
 uncovered himself today in the eyes of the handmaids of his servants,
 as one of the vain fellows shamelessly uncovers himself!"

   {6:21} David said to Michal, "It was before the LORD, who chose me
 above your father, and above all his house, to appoint me prince over
 the people of the LORD, over Israel. Therefore will I celebrate before
 the LORD. {6:22} I will be yet more vile than this, and will be base
 in my own sight. But of the handmaids of whom you have spoken, they
 shall honor me." {6:23} Michal the daughter of Saul had no child to
 the day of her death.

Footnotes:
[1] {6:15} or, trumpet

The World English Bible: Messianic Edition is in the Public Domain.
This translation is also known as the Hebrew Names Version. "World
English Bible," "World English Bible: Messianic Edition," and "World
English Bible" are trademarks of Rainbow Missions, Inc., and may only
be used as names for the Bible translations so named and distributed by
Rainbow Missions, Inc., and faithful copies thereof. Typo reports are
welcome at http://eBible.org/cgi-bin/comment.cgi. Please see
http://HNVBible.org for updates.