The Good News According to Matthew, Chapter 3

   {3:1} In those days, Yochanan the Immerser came, proclaiming in the
 wilderness of Judea, saying, {3:2} "Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven
 is at hand!" {3:3} For this is he who was spoken of by Isaiah the
 prophet, saying,
 "The voice of one crying in the wilderness,
   make ready the way of the Lord.
   Make his paths straight."[1]

   {3:4} Now Yochanan himself wore clothing made of camel's hair, with
 a leather belt around his waist. His food was locusts and wild honey.
 {3:5} Then people from Jerusalem, all of Judea, and all the region
 around the Jordan went out to him. {3:6} They were immersed by him in
 the Jordan, confessing their sins. {3:7} But when he saw many of the
 Pharisees and Sadducees coming for his immersion he said to them, "You
 offspring of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
 {3:8} Therefore bring forth fruit worthy of repentance! {3:9} Don't
 think to yourselves, 'We have Abraham for our father,' for I tell you
 that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones.

   {3:10} "Even now the axe lies at the root of the trees. Therefore
 every tree that doesn't bring forth good fruit is cut down, and cast
 into the fire. {3:11} I indeed immerse you in water for repentance,
 but he who comes after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not
 worthy to carry. He will immerse you in the Holy Spirit.[2] {3:12} His
 winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will thoroughly cleanse his
 threshing floor. He will gather his wheat into the barn, but the chaff
 he will burn up with unquenchable fire."

   {3:13} Then Yeshua came from Galilee to the Jordan to Yochanan, to
 be immersed by him. {3:14} But Yochanan would have hindered him,
 saying, "I need to be immersed by you, and you come to me?"

   {3:15} But Yeshua, answering, said to him, "Allow it now, for this
 is the fitting way for us to fulfill all righteousness." Then he
 allowed him. {3:16} Yeshua, when he was immersed, went up directly
 from the water: and behold, the heavens were opened to him. He saw the
 Spirit of God descending as a dove, and coming on him. {3:17} Behold,
 a voice out of the heavens said, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I
 am well pleased."

Footnotes:
[1] {3:3} Isaiah 40:3

[2] {3:11} TR and NU add "and with fire"

The World English Bible: Messianic Edition is in the Public Domain.
This translation is also known as the Hebrew Names Version. "World
English Bible," "World English Bible: Messianic Edition," and "World
English Bible" are trademarks of Rainbow Missions, Inc., and may only
be used as names for the Bible translations so named and distributed by
Rainbow Missions, Inc., and faithful copies thereof. Typo reports are
welcome at http://eBible.org/cgi-bin/comment.cgi. Please see
http://HNVBible.org for updates.