The Good News According to Yochanan, Chapter 15

   {15:1} "I am the true vine, and my Father is the farmer. {15:2}
 Every branch in me that doesn't bear fruit, he takes away. Every
 branch that bears fruit, he prunes, that it may bear more fruit.
 {15:3} You are already pruned clean because of the word which I have
 spoken to you. {15:4} Remain in me, and I in you. As the branch can't
 bear fruit by itself, unless it remains in the vine, so neither can
 you, unless you remain in me. {15:5} I am the vine. You are the
 branches. He who remains in me, and I in him, the same bears much
 fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. {15:6} If a man doesn't
 remain in me, he is thrown out as a branch, and is withered; and they
 gather them, throw them into the fire, and they are burned. {15:7} If
 you remain in me, and my words remain in you, you will ask whatever
 you desire, and it will be done for you.

   {15:8} "In this is my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit;
 and so you will be my disciples. {15:9} Even as the Father has loved
 me, I also have loved you. Remain in my love. {15:10} If you keep my
 commandments, you will remain in my love; even as I have kept my
 Father's commandments, and remain in his love. {15:11} I have spoken
 these things to you, that my joy may remain in you, and that your joy
 may be made full.

   {15:12} "This is my commandment, that you love one another, even as
 I have loved you. {15:13} Greater love has no one than this, that
 someone lay down his life for his friends. {15:14} You are my friends,
 if you do whatever I command you. {15:15} No longer do I call you
 servants, for the servant doesn't know what his lord does. But I have
 called you friends, for everything that I heard from my Father, I have
 made known to you. {15:16} You didn't choose me, but I chose you, and
 appointed you, that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit
 should remain; that whatever you will ask of the Father in my name, he
 may give it to you.

   {15:17} "I command these things to you, that you may love one
 another. {15:18} If the world hates you, you know that it has hated me
 before it hated you. {15:19} If you were of the world, the world would
 love its own. But because you are not of the world, since I chose you
 out of the world, therefore the world hates you. {15:20} Remember the
 word that I said to you: 'A servant is not greater than his lord.'[1]
 If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my
 word, they will keep yours also. {15:21} But all these things will
 they do to you for my name's sake, because they don't know him who
 sent me. {15:22} If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not
 have had sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. {15:23} He
 who hates me, hates my Father also. {15:24} If I hadn't done among
 them the works which no one else did, they wouldn't have had sin. But
 now have they seen and also hated both me and my Father. {15:25} But
 this happened so that the word may be fulfilled which was written in
 their law, 'They hated me without a cause.'[2]

   {15:26} "When the [3>]Counselor[<3] has come, whom I will send to
 you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the
 Father, he will testify about me. {15:27} You will also testify,
 because you have been with me from the beginning.

Footnotes:
[1] {15:20} Yochanan 13:16

[2] {15:25} Psalms 35:19; 69:4

[3] {15:26} Greek Parakletos: Counselor, Helper, Advocate, Intercessor,
and Comforter.

The World English Bible: Messianic Edition is in the Public Domain.
This translation is also known as the Hebrew Names Version. "World
English Bible," "World English Bible: Messianic Edition," and "World
English Bible" are trademarks of Rainbow Missions, Inc., and may only
be used as names for the Bible translations so named and distributed by
Rainbow Missions, Inc., and faithful copies thereof. Typo reports are
welcome at http://eBible.org/cgi-bin/comment.cgi. Please see
http://HNVBible.org for updates.