On Sun, 6 May 2012, Ramana Kumar wrote:

> For the record, OpenTheory (http://www.gilith.com/research/opentheory/)
> is also an independent implementation of HOL, and may be treated as a
> separate proof checker. It wasn't written with the same soundness goals
> as HOL Zero, though; I would still recommend HOL Zero for checking when
> soundness is a major concern.

Just browsing through the opentheory 1.1 sources a bit, I find it more
re-assuring as independent checker, even if it is not designed for that.

It has:

   * Standard ML with its no-sense semantics

   * support for 3 independent SML compilers

   * fixed input format -- no arbitrary user code accessing the platform

Even the usual fine points of SML programming have been observed
carefully:

   * avoidance of unspecific exception handlers -- no dreaded
     "handle _ => ..." that would let bad weather intrude program semantics
     (I've seen this occasionally in the HOL Zero sources)

   * "critical" wrappers for the (very few) accesses to global
     state variables (apparently stemming from the Metis adaption to
     multithreaded Isabelle/ML)

        Makarius