Using the following method has some problems, when there are failures in
proof attempts. For example, the following sequence reports 44 primitive
inference steps, after a proof failure.

val meter = Count.mk_meter();

g `p /\ p /\ q /\ F`;
e (METIS_TAC []);

Count.report(Count.read meter);

This is particularly dangerous when I have proof automation scripts that
try different rewriting rules. The number reported is not representative
on the complexity of the problem, but the number of inference steps
conducted by HOL, which is not necessarily related to a correct proof
construction that actually verifies a theorem.

Since HOL is not designed for automatic reasoning, so reporting the
number of inference steps can be misleading in measuring the
implementation complexity of solving problems, especially when using
proof automation scripts with lots of rewriting rules.

Lu