(whoops, fixing the subject)

John> 1.  Error with workaround... "apt-get install" puts Ocaml in a
> John> "nonstandard" location.. /usr/lib/ocaml/camlp5.  Specifying this
> John> with "export CAMLP5LIB" fixed the problem.  (This was tricky to
> John> find, because there were also libs at /usr/local/lib/ocaml/3.12.1,
> John> and specifying that location didn't fix the problem.)
>
> I don't think ubuntu or debian installs any libraries in
> /usr/local/lib/ocaml (if it did, it would be a violation of policy since
> /usr/local is meant to be, duh, local).  It merely creates that
> directory tree if it doesn't exist, as a skeleton for libraries you
> might install separately from source.

Ah, you're right.  When flailing around to fix the compilation error, I saw
a directory under /usr/local/lib/ocaml, and figured that had to be the
right one, since the README specifically mentioned /usr/local/lib/ocaml.
The installation process should take into account all possible levels of
cluelessness :-)

> I am also surprised that the location /usr/lib/ocaml/camlp5 is
> unexpected.  True, it is not the default if you compile camlp5 from
> source - but the same can be said about, for example, gcc ;-)

Precisely.  I am also surprised that the location was unexpected (in the
HOL Light installation process).
It would not have been unexpected by me, but the README said I only needed
to define the lib directory in a "nonstandard" case. Thus, I figured it was
somewhere weird.
The installation process should ideally be robust enough to handle both
locations, but if not, it should specifically mention this as being a
likely location for the libraries, and shouldn't say it's not standard.

John