On 15/01/13 20:13, Bill Richter wrote:

> In HOL Light vectors, there's something like type quantification,
> and I thought that wasn't possible in HOL.

> First, I could not find an HOL4 analogue of HOL Light vectors. The
> basic idea seems to be that to define the type operator ^ which
> yields the type real^3 which denotes vectors in R^3, 3 must be a
> type, and somehow it must be a type with exactly 3 elements, ...

This is possible in HOL4, using the same “finite cartesian products” approach as
in HOL Light.  See p84 of the HOL4 Description manual (available at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hol/files/hol/kananaskis-8/kananaskis-8-description.pdf/download);
our approach is ported from HOL Light’s.  There was a paper by John Harrison at
TPHOLs 2005 describing how it all works.

> In practice this "type quantification" seems to amount to including
> type annotations that I'd think weren't needed, as in the same page
> of the tutorial. So type_of tells us that vector[&1;&2;&3]: real^3
> has type real^3, but vector[&1;&2;&3] has type real^?185046.

> Surely the type should be real^3, even if we don't specifically
> annotate, right? Because the list has length 3? But that's not what
> the definition vector above says! It says to feed in a list l and
> apparently a type annotation as well. I think that's pretty
> interesting, and I'd like to know more.

Type inference can’t tell that the argument [1;2;3] has length 3; all it can
deduce is that this is indeed a list of numbers.

Michael