Andrew,

On 21 Mar 2014, at 09:13, Andrew Butterfield <andrew.butterfi...@scss.tcd.ie>
wrote:

> On 20 Mar 2014, at 16:50, Rob Arthan <r...@lemma-one.com> wrote:
>

>> ProofPower is no different from HOL4 and HOL Light as regards substitution.
>> The ProofPower documentation does include a formal specification of the
>> logic and the proof system, but you would probably do better looking at  the
>> HOL4 Logic Manual, which gives a good account based on work of Andy Pitts
>> that uses traditional maths notation to define the logic including
>> substitution. The primitive rules and axioms in HOL4 (and ProofPower) are
>> different from HOL Light, but prove the same set of theorems.
>
> Is this  the document  kanananaskis-9-logic.pdf?

Yes. I should have given this link:
http://hol.sourceforge.net/documentation.html.

> If it is, I have a query:  in Sec 1.1 Introduction (p9)  we are shown some
> properties
>
> One is *Inhab* : U does not contain empty sets - fair enough
> Another is *Pow*  which says that if X is in U, then so is P(X) = { Y : Y
> subseteq X }
> To me this implies that P(X) may (will) contain the empty set as an element.
>
> Is this a correct interpretation of the consequences of these rules?

Yes.  In this description, the universe U provides the possible semantic values
for types and types in this logic are not allowed to denote empty sets.

That said, I don’t think that Pow actually plays any role other than to
show that function spaces exist (property Fun). So as the function space
X -> Y is not empty if Y is not empty, it doesn’t really matter
whether Pow contains the empty set or not.

Regards,

Rob.