Years ago I heard an anecdote that someone had been teaching a class on
verifying software. The example was proving the correctness of a sort function.
For some time, the specification (thing to prove) was that the output of sort
was in order. It was some time before it was realized that the spec had to be
that the output was in order AND that the output was a permutation of the input.

I used this anecdote as an example that merely using "formal method" (proofs)
doesn't automatically remove all errors. (Specs have to be validated.) The
person I was talking to asked for a reference. I have looked and looked, but
cannot find this published anywhere.

If you have details about this, especially if it is in a book or article,
please let me know.

I hope nobody minds me posting this on the hol-info mailing list.

-paul-
Paul E. Black
paul.bl...@nist.gov
http://hissa.nist.gov/~black/