On 10/9/11 8:33 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:

"Erik" == Erik Nordmark<nordm...@cisco.com>  writes:
     Erik>  Reason I'm asking is that I have two consumer devices with
     Erik>  IPv4 NAT in my home (a VoIP box and a backup device) where the
     Erik>  instructions said: 1. Insert between or existing router (or PC
     Erik>  if you have no router) and the DSL/cable modem 2. Insert
     Erik>  between your PC and your existing router (or modem if you have
     Erik>  no router)

     Erik>  Those consumer instructions naturally result in a daisy-chain
     Erik>  of IPv4 RGs/NATs, which is a subset of a tree topology.

That's a good point:  many VoIP ATAs want to be the first device so that
they can control the QoS, and ideally get the public IP address.

Does your VoIP box do PPPoE as well?

Yes.

It is basically a home gateway (without WiFi - wired Ethernet only) with a SIM slot and a phone connector added. Thus it has all the usual protocols and knobs for Internet connectivity.

The backup device takes the same approach - start with a home gateway and add something (in that case a disk plus file sharing software) but don't remove anything.

  Erik