> > I do not adhere to "default permit" as a security principle.
>
> Then you also do not care for supporting the e2e principle, and I thought
> I heard people mumble e2w  was a good thing at the start of homenet.
> I am in the camp the host should be strong and smart and networks should
> be simple and fast.
>
> Cb

Let's discuss the end-to-end principle and see how it applies here.

rfc1958 quotes from [Saltzer]:
"The function in question can completely and
   correctly be implemented only with the knowledge and help of the
   application standing at the endpoints of the communication system.
   Therefore, providing that questioned function as a feature of the
   communication system itself is not possible. (Sometimes an incomplete
   version of the function provided by the communication system may be
   useful as a performance enhancement.")

In this instance, the "function" could be considered either a) implementation
of a forwarding policy, or b) the application sending/receiving packets.  If
(a), then is is being done "with the knowledge and help of the application,"
so the principle is intact.  If (b), then the firewall is not attempting to
implement that function, only to forward or not forward packets, and the
principle is intact.

All of the examples contemplated in rfc1958 and in the original paper
are about adding processing to packet forwarding, such as error checking,
encryption, or deduplication.  In this case, the host (or application) is
establishing a security policy, and asking for help enforcing that policy.

A general security principle is to drop malicious traffic as close to the
source as possible (rfc3013, rfc3871).

"the end-to-end argument is not an
absolute rule, but rather a guideline that helps in application and protocol
design analysis"
http://web.mit.edu/Saltzer/www/publications/endtoend/endtoend.pdf

People can argue that the end-to-end principle prohibits use of stateful
firewalls.
I believe that properly implemented, where the host (application) sets the
policy
and the gateway/firewall makes a forwarding decision, the principle is upheld.

Lee

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to
copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for
the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the
contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and
any printout.