On Mar 11, 2012, at 11:03 AM, Jim Gettys <j...@freedesktop.org> wrote:
> I think there is an interesting question of whether interior *names*
> should be automatically published into the global DNS by default or
> not,  which will depend on the security of the devices and systems and
> the users' expertise, if only to make it a bit harder for attackers to
> discover interior systems to attack (since with IPv6 finding them by
> brute force address space search is relatively hard).

Doesn't making the zone non-enumerable and disabling zone transfers address
this problem?   I guess you could still do a dictionary attack on the zone and
decrease the cost of the search somewhat in the usual case, but it's a pretty
sketchy way to try to start an attack.   Having said that, I think it's
probably fine to disable propagation of the zone by default, except that then
we have to figure out what to name the non-propagated zone, and how to deal
with the transition from non-propagated to propagated.