On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:56 PM, james woodyatt <j...@apple.com> wrote:
> On Mar 14, 2012, at 08:16 , Michael Richardson <m...@sandelman.ca> wrote:
>
>> whatever we set as the recommended default will be what is there for 99% of
>> users, and therefore what anyone writing an application that has to live in
>> the home is going to have to deal with.
>
> A point I have been trying to make for several years now is that we have
> already set a recommended default in many places for "block all incoming
> connections" at unmanaged Internet gateways.  We probably had a chance to
> reverse course on this for IPv6 in the middle of the last decade, but not
> anymore.  We now have a strategic direction we have been following for quite
> some time now, and we have too much invested in it to turn back.
>
> I think the credit for preserving the continuity of the IPv4/NAT experience
> with the transition to IPv6 should go to the IAB and the IESG.  The HOMENET
> architecture should throw in the towel on E2E and go with RFC 6092 on by
> default at the border gateway.  It should be silent about PCP until something
> can be done about its lack of explicit support for nested security domains.

I disagree with your pessimism, but not with your summary of reality.

If that really is the case, then i am not sure why HOMENET exist.

So far, all i have gleaned from this group is debates about problems i
consider pretty far fetched and irrelevant.  Turing routing protocols
on cheap routers is not interesting to me.... in fact, i am so boring,
and admin a network all day long, that i cant imagine why anyone in
their right mind would want more than one subnet in their home.... but
that is just me (and 99% of all home users).  I have the same apathy
towards multihoming.

Making IPv6 restore e2e, or the internet model, is a worthy goal and i
am glad to help... But, if HOMENET is throwing in the towel, i can
lurk somewhere else and you folks can keep debating about OSPF vs RIP
and thinking that SPI makes something secure.

CB