On 08/07/2012 03:54 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:
>     Michael> Just checking, but we all think that naming is a separate
>     Michael> issue from reachability, right?
>
> It's separate.
>
> The question is: does the set of names you can resolve depend upon the
> connectivity that you have? (the "reachability")
Yes.

> I think that this is a form of security through obscurity, and I'd
> rather that the various carriers who want to impose walled gardens on their
> video-over-3G-to-smartphone systems (causing changes up to the
> application layers) would do something different.
>
> I overheard a snippit of conversation last week from Lorenzo about what
> Android will be doing to "support" walled garden DNS.  I can't repeat
> it, because I didn't hear the answer...

Many corporations also hide internal names from the global DNS.  This
isn't just a carrier "thing".

It is possible to configure bind to "do the right thing" to query
different name servers in different part of the name space.  So it is
technically possible to set up name resolution to work when tunnels come
and go.

I take no position as to whether these corporations are sane about their
security policies, however.
                - Jim