In message <506c889b.4070...@centurylink.net>
Jeff Bowden writes:

> Curtis,
>
> I agree with your addition of that paragraph with the one exception of
> removing the "at no additional cost" phrase.  I agree it should be that
> way but it is up to the individual ISP and not the IETF as to what
> should and should not be charged for.
>
> Yes, lets move on.
>
> Best regards,
> Jeff Bowden

The "at no additional cost" phrase is consistent with RFC6177.  See
first paragraph in section 2 "2.  On /48 Assignments to End Sites".

   Looking back at some of the original motivations behind the /48
   recommendation [RFC3177], there were three main concerns.  The first
   motivation was to ensure that end sites could easily obtain
   sufficient address space without having to "jump through hoops" to do
   so.  For example, if someone felt they needed more space, just the
   act of asking would at some level be sufficient justification.  As a
   comparison point, in IPv4, typical home users are given a single
   public IP address (though even this is not always assured), but
   getting any more than one address is often difficult or even
   impossible -- unless one is willing to pay a (significantly)
   increased fee for what is often considered to be a "higher grade" of
   service.  (It should be noted that increased ISP charges to obtain a
   small number of additional addresses cannot usually be justified by
   the real per-address cost levied by RIRs, but additional addresses
   are frequently only available to end users as part of a different
   type or "higher grade" of service, for which an additional charge is
   levied.  The point here is that the additional cost is not due to the
   RIR fee structures, but to business choices ISPs make.) An important
   goal in IPv6 is to significantly change the default and minimal end
   site assignment, from "a single address" to "multiple networks" and
   to ensure that end sites can easily obtain address space.

The phrase "SHOULD provide these shorter prefixes at no additional
cost" is much shorter, more direct, and after all is only a "SHOULD".

There is no justification to charge more for a shorter prefix than /64
other than providers tendency to charge for anything they can charge
for even if there is no incremental cost to them.

I think that phrase should stay.

btw- At some prefix length (maybe shorter than /56 or /48) it is not
unreasonable to expect some form of justification.  After all, a /56
provides 256 subnets and a /48 provides 64K subnets and that is a lot
of subnets for a home or soho or small business.

Curtis