On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 4:23 AM, Fred Baker (fred) <f...@cisco.com> wrote:

> This is that separate email. As I start, may I make the most direct
> possible apology to my colleagues with other approaches. I'm going to say
> that I think you're "wrong", and say why. That is in the spirit of open
> discussion in which we have a technical disagreement. BTW, you should be
> aware that I have a fair set of people who are telling me I'm wrong as
> well, hopefully in the same spirit. Some of them are pretty irritated with
> me, and I have gotten irritated with them.

For what it's worth, as as a co-author of draft-troan-homenet-sadr-00, I
don't think there is a disagreement. The draft cites your work, because we
(or at least, I) think that the correct approach is in fact one where the
routing protocol passes around source+destination routing pairs.

The reason why the draft also proposes a simplified version of SADR that
integrates with prefix assignment protocol is that it's possible to
implement this without having to make substantial changes to OSPF.
Extending the routing protocols will be a long and possibly hard road, and
we feel that the group should at least consider the possibility of an
approach with better time-to-market and lower barrier to implementation -
especially since the alternatives being proposed are hierarchical DHCPv6 PD
and NPT66. The risk is that we make the perfect the enemy of the good and
we end up with NPT66, which means that we will have thrown away the chance
for end-to-end IPv6 connectivity and will have to build apps in IPv6 just
as we did in IPv4 - forever trying to guess what their addresses are, which
magic packet incancation will work, and which third-party server is the
best to relay packets through.

On the OSPF vs. IS-IS choice... well, if we had an implementation of ISIS
that could run on home networking devices, or if there was at least one on
the horizon, things would be very different.