>>> Before we dive into the solution space, Brian, do you agree that the
>> framework draft should include this requirement?
>>
>> Yes, but I think that simplicity of deployment and management is part of the
>> requirement.
>
> Absolutely agree!

+1

One thing to think about --what if we just assumed some sort of layer 2
overlay used _only_ for control traffic among all the devices on the
network --or a layer 3 multicast group that was "location specific," in
some way?

A lot of the problems we seem to have here revolve around coordinating
what device is doing what, what services are available, where the edges
are, etc. Maybe if we could figure out a single control channel for all
devices on the network, whether it's by tagging on to the routing
protocol, or by setting up a well known local multicast group, or by
setting up a layer 2 "control channel," or even an "out of band
bluetooth control channel," or whatever, we could make progress using
the existence of a such a control channel as an underlying assumption?

Russ