On 13 Jun 2014, at 14:38, Ted Lemon <mel...@fugue.com> wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2014, at 9:27 AM, Lorenzo Colitti <lore...@google.com> wrote:
>> No, the problem is that the working group doesn't know what is being asked
>> for.
>
> We could go around on this all week…

I must say as the editor of the arch text I am also very confused. I don’t
understand what is required in a replacement for the “contentious" paragraph
(paragraph 4 of section 3.5), rather than simply removing the paragraph based
on strong WG consensus.

In producing the -13, which was pushed out at IETF London, it seemed to me that
there was clear WG consensus in that meeting that we should not constrain,
witness the minutes at
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/89/minutes/minutes-89-homenet (under Slide 9).
This view was reinfroced by comments elsewhere, and by the WG chairs. While
it’s possible the WG view may have changed since London, it’s not a big
surprise that it hasn’t. That message is why the one reference to link metrics
earlier in section 3.5 is clearly qualified by “if supported by the protocol in
use”.

As Ray points out, the paragraph added by the Routing ADs does make other some
text in other paragraphs (which isn’t so prescriptive) seem out of place. My
personal view, which happens to be in line with most (all?) who have commented
in the WG is simply to strike the proposed prescriptive paragraph.  The
question of course is whether/if Ted can square that off with our routing ADs
who have genuine concern in raising the issue… it’s simply that the WG is
coming back here and saying “it’s OK, thanks for raising the point, but we’re
sure we want to do it this way”.

The -13 also includes other changes in response to discussion at London, as
documented in the minutes, e.g. about the zero or one routing protocols.

Tim