On Sep 20, 2014, at 12:57 AM, Steven Barth <cy...@openwrt.org> wrote:

> Am 20.09.2014 um 09:17 schrieb Tim Chown:
>> I think it would be useful to do, and needn't hold up progress. It would
>> give us a common understanding - hopefully - of which threats are being
>> covered and which are not. And which are handled by layers/protocols outside
>> the scope of homenet's charter.
> We started a similar thread about 3 months ago here:
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/homenet/current/msg03694.html maybe this
> can be used as a starting point.

It would be good to limit the scope of HNCP security (the subject of this
thread) and consider IETF homenet security in a companion specification that
addresses the two differentiators of homenets:  Multiple authorities and
absence of active management complicate authorization.  These differentiators
mean there's a different set of problems for authorization than what we
ordinarily have in IETF protocols.  So HNCP might punt the authorization issue
like IETF protocols typically do, e.g. assume in the worst case that an
authorized person installs a shared key.  But this is not a reasonable
assumption in homenets, however, owing to the differences of homenets from
enterprise, government, military and other environments where there typically
is a single authority and active management of the network.  Thus,
authorization is an unavoidable topic for Homenet, but the HNCP draft is
probably not the place for that.

What I'm suggesting is more than a threats or requirements document.

Mark