On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 11:31:56AM -1000, Ralph Droms wrote:
> Brian - I missed the discussion in homenet, so this reference may have
> already been cited: RFC 6761

That's the way we register the special use names.  What we don't have
is a way, apart from sending a liaison statement, to tell ICANN what
we're planning to do.

In this particular case, I think it would be extremely important to
get positive affirmation that ICANN as an organization is in favour of
registering these names for special use, because the names in question
have in fact been applied for and applicants have spent not
inconsiderable money on those applications.  I'm not convinced that it
would be safe for the IETF to make such a special-use registration at
this point without an explicit declaration from ICANN not only that
they wanted not to delegate for an indeterminate period of time, but
that they would like the special-use registration as well.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
a...@anvilwalrusden.com