Profile recommendations section in dncp recommends sha-256.

Er... -06 recommends the leading 8 octets of MD-5.  Section 3.

But that's not what I'm asking about. The question is what it is exactly that I'm hashing:

1. simply copy the has received from the originator, no questions asked; 2. hash the raw data received from the originator; 3. hash data that I've formatted from my internal data structures.

(1) is the simplest to implement, but it doesn't allow validation (detecting buggy or malicious peers). (2) is pretty simple too, but it requires that I keep duplicate data -- one raw copy and one in my data structures. (3) is more involved, since it requires defining a canonical form for the data (e.g. how to sort the TLVs and what to do with duplicate TLVs).

I'm currently doing (2).

-- Juliusz