I think there are some problems with slide 5 of the references
presentation. Although I am active in IEEE 802.11 this is not
particularly my area of expertise. I'm sure Dorothy will correct me if
I'm wrong:

- The claim that the AP must retransmit multi-destination frames as
the "lowest possible" rate seems a bit misleading. Beacons (AP
originated station discovery frames) should be sent at the lowest rate
the AP is configured to use and Probes (station originated AP
discovery frames) should be sent with the lowest rate the station is
configured to use. Multi-destination data need only be sent at the
lowest rate needed for the worst of the associated stations, although
an AP could send slower if it wanted to, which still uses less air
time than serially unicasting since you would have to send it at that
slow rate anyway to that worst station. In any case, none of these is
the "lowest possible" rate, which I assume means the
slowest/most-robust modulation defined in the 802.11 standard.

- 802.11 does have a feature called GCR -- Groupcast With Retries,
which was part of the 802.11aa amendment, although it is not widely
implemented. It includes such features as a way for the AP to send
several multi-destination frames and then, using unicast, to poll
associated stations for a bit map of which of those frames they
correctly received (BlockAck) and a feature for the AP to
spontaneously transmit a multi-destination frame more than once
without causing confusion for improved reliability.

Thanks,
Donald
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 d3e...@gmail.com