Hello all,

Let me summarise some of the characteristics of the 802.11 standard related to
multicast:
1.  The basic "packet error rate" (before Ack) designed to is 10% in the case
of unicast.   This is a very broad statement and almost so
simplistic as to be misleading.    Errors are composed of 1) collisions, 2)
interference,  3) rate/MCS adaptation
errors,  4) sudden changes in the radio environment such as shadowing.   The
residual error for unicast is less because of the retry mechanism.

2. Multicast is generally sent at a  low "basic" (one intended to be receivable
by all STAs in the AP's network) rate.   This improves reliability in some of
the error causes cited above, but not all.

3. Multicast is generally not acknowledged.

4. Multicast may be buffered when power-savers are present.  An AP may discard
buffered traffic due to internal resource constraints.  Buffered multicast
traffic is generally delivered once per DTIM,  which is a configurable multiple
of the beacon interval.
Note that the asymmetry of the buffering times might cause an AP to discard
more buffered multicast traffic than unicast.  Whether it does is something I
don't know,  I'm just mentioning it as a possibility.

5. When multicast is delivered using the DTIM mechanism,   a whole sequence of
buffered multicast frames are transmitted using a "SIFS" gap (i.e.
uninterruptable).   This reduces the probability of individual packet collision
from nearby STAs.

6. The STAs associated with an AP may exhibit different reliabilities receiving
multicast traffic.   Those on the edge of the AP's network will receive at
lower power.  More subtly,  they may be closer to 802.11 interferers that
cannot receive from the AP,  and therefore do not honour any of the protection
mechanisms that might be used by the AP.

The bottom line of operating in an unlicensed medium is that nothing is
predictable and there are absolutely no guarantees.

The standard contains mechanisms to improve the reliability of multicast and
remove it from the DTIM buffering mechanism.

Implementations can do a multicast to unicast translation.  The standard does
not support this,  but it does not prevent
it either.

The question in my mind is whether this discussion thread is uncovering any new
requirements for the 802.11 standard.
I can make time on the 802.11 meeting agenda to discuss the topic.   Dorothy
Stanley is 802.11's liaison to IETF,  so if folks did
want to contribute to a discussion document,  I suggest they work with her.
Our next meeting is September 13-18.
(http://www.ieee802.org/11/Meetings/Meeting_Plan.html)

Yours sincerely,

Adrian P STEPHENS