Unsure about your profile, Mikael. Ethernet would be a #2 by now, only things
like sat-links could still be  #1s. So the work would really be to figure out
what to do with the varieties of your #2. My question is rather whether IP over
802.11 should be operated like IP over Ethernet or like IP over 802.15.4.

Trouble is, some multicast ore more important than others. E.g. you miss an RA,
usually no harm done, wait for the next or RS to force one. You missed a DAD,
the protocol failed. If we start retrying DADs, we make the broadcast situation
even worse. So to your point about energy, Wi-Foo may decide to broadcast some
messages, unicast others multiple times, and at some point change the IP
protocols so that the protocols operate differently.

The IETF already made these steps for 802.15.4. RAs are still broadcasted but
DAD was changed to be reliable and unicast-based.

The multilink subnet is not one /64 per wireless device as you indicate. That
model certainly works too, and was deployed, but with it,  a set of 64 bits
identifies and routes to a device, so we are mostly back to a world of IPv4
with just DHCP (PD) and identifiers of 64 bits instead of 32.

The multilink subnet is a single large subnet encompassing the whole ESS,
Ethernet  + Wi-Fi. It is really a Layer-3 ESS, based on the same ideas as the
Layer-2 is.

In that model, the association of a wireless device associates the IP unicast
and multicast addresses with the MAC address, and the AP acts as a router and
performs proxy ND over the Ethernet backbone on behalf of the wireless devices.
That way, the ND NS are never multicast over the wireless. In practice, the
association of IP addresses should be done as part of ND, and that is what RFC
6775 does.

Cheers,

Pascal

Cheers,