I'm removing from CC the people who I know are on Homenet, please do the
same with the other lists.

>     Since RFC 3819 is mostly concerned about avoiding receiving unwanted
>     multicast,
>
> I don't know why you would get that impression. I helped write that
> section (as noted in sec 19). Native L2 multicast should be supported
> exactly because it's useful to IP, as noted here:
>
> ---
> Multicasting is considerably more efficient when a subnetwork
>    explicitly supports it.
> ---

Perhaps I misread this section, but the impression I get is that it is
concerned about avoiding waking nodes and avoiding duplicate
transmissions.  I doesn't read like the authors are thinking about
networks where multicast has higher packet loss and lower throughput than
unicast, which is what concerns us here.

I'd love to be proved wrong.

-- Juliusz