On Wed, 12 Aug 2015, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

Ole, Mikael, could either of you please summarise the discussion you're having for us mere mortals? I don't understand what problem you're trying to solve, and I don't understand why you're distinguishing between SLAAC and DHCPv6.

Because a DHCPv6 IA_NA and DHCPv6 IA_PD doesn't have to be covered by an on-link prefix.

You don't get any SLAAC based addresses without an on-link RA for the prefix with A=1. So this is obvious that there needs to be an RA sent.

For DHCPv6 these contraints do not apply anymore. That's what I'm trying to figure out, how do we handle these IA_NAs and IA_PDs that are not within an on-link RA being sent for that prefix.

This is definitely not a configuration error, it's perfectly valid to hand out single address using DHCPv6 IA_NA that isn't covered by an off-link or on-link prefix.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se