Von: Markus Stenberg [mailto:markus.stenb...@iki.fi]
Gesendet: Montag, 17. August 2015 10:11
An: Toerless Eckert
Cc: homenet@ietf.org; Juliusz Chroboczek
Betreff: Re: [homenet] HNCP: avoiding renumbering

On 17.8.2015, at 9.57, Toerless Eckert <eck...@cisco.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 09:41:24AM +0300, Markus Stenberg wrote:
>> Just like in some other old workplace, cough, ???if it does not work without
>> IPsec, do not expect it to work with it???.
> Should i even try to understand that reference  ? ;-)

Probably not :)

>> I do not expect homenet stuff to do much better here, unless we want to make
>> it crazily complicated.
>>
>> Normal, graceful renumberings are a part of IPv6 and should work equally
>> well given single 7084 router and homenet router network. IPv4
>> ???renumbering??? will be bit less graceful no matter what, I am afraid, but
>> that???s outside the architecture RFC mandate anyway and done just as a
>> public service.
> I don't know why Juliusz called stable storage bad. I think it's great.
> Where would i be without stable storage for my routers software, policy
> configuration, passwords, logs and the like. Why should it be bad to
> memorize addressing ? I think it's mandatory for IPv4, and for IPv6,
> i'd love to have some option to either re-number when i click - to weed
> out bad apps/OS problems - or a switch for persistency of addresses
> (one to improve reality, one to live with it).

I also think that stable storage is the sane default. However, the problems are
combination of:

- cheap router vendors

- bad software

that kill stable storage by writing it to too much. E.g. Typical cheap home
router does not have NVRAM to store this stuff in, but instead normal flash
with limited rewrite count is used. If the software is bad, the flash dies fast
due to running out of write cycles.

Cheers,

-Markus